Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet Cafes!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sounion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Internet Cafes! Reply with quote

In December my partner and I will be moving to Singapore to take up teaching positions so we have both been scanning this forum for helpful tips and the like.

One question I did have was whether Singapore has internet cafes? Being from Seattle where there are more internet cafes than people, I find them extremely useful. When I lived in Seattle I didn't have a home connection and instead just used these cafes, free internet after buying a coffee.

In Singapore, it seems internet is somewhat of a victim-offender relationship with long contracts and little flexibility. To avoid this type of system and high contract prices, I was thinking of going the way of Seattle and just relying on internet cafes. Is this realistic/possible?

Also, a side note, is the internet fast? We are living in Bhutan and rely on pretty spotty internet. It's actually taken me 6 different tries to post this Smile

Sounion
Tudor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to mention your website Very Happy
sheepshead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Internet cafes Reply with quote

There were a few internet cafes back when I was there. I see no reason for them to close down. They used to be up to the normal speed for Asia then. Things should have sped up to keep up with the rest of the world.

Today's price per hour? I don't know. It seems that the cafe operators kept an eye on those who used their machines to see if any one was useing them for illict activities.
sounion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You forgot to mention your website

www.teachinbhutan.org

http://drukmail.blogspot.com

There ya go dude
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singtel offers free Wi Fi in plenty of locations around the city. You need to register online.

Also, home internet is not expensive.

We have cable TV and internet package (2 yr contract) which costs us SGD$70 a month. You will need to have your EP/PR to register.

Mobile phone contracts are also not too bad with nationwide internet access around SGD$35 a month.

There are a few Internet cafes in the city centre and Little India, but not many beyond those places. Everyone here has at least one smartphone and the island is well wired.
sounion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay great, thanks!

What about these housing postings that say they include internet, is that usually a reliable service?
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I have heard of internet included in the rental cost is if you are renting short term (a couple of months) or if you are renting a room rather than a flat, in which case the inclusion of Wi Fi would be fairly normal.

If you are going to rent a whole flat, you'll need to get the internet sorted out yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: