Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living Costs in Singapore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Living Costs in Singapore Reply with quote

Hi.
What is the average living cost/wage ratio in Singapore for a BA (assume many years of experience and CELTA or equivalent?
Thanks!
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely depends on how you live.

I save a lot - I barely drink and live in an HDB flat. I travel to the UK once or twice a year, have a child and share the cost of the flat with the wife. I feel comfortable here. I have saved over 17K UK in 2 years.

I have colleagues who share condominiums, drink like fish at the weekend and have nothing to show for it.

In Singapore one can live well and spend little or blow the lot.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great to me! I'm very frugal- or should I say I don't need much to be satisfied. I don't drink either, not because I'm a prude but because it just doesn't agree with me.
Anyway, the idea of living and working in Singapore in the heart of Malay sounds very appealing to me for many reasons. I have twenty years experience teaching EFL but no CELTA. So I guess I should get that first? Or can I apply directly do you think?
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing is to search for jobs once you are in Singapore.

Few places advertise outside the country.

Getting set up here is expensive, so if you are serious about setting up here, you'll need to make sure you have SGD4-5K when you arrive.

Best to get a CELTA before you come, though it is easy enough to find jobs without one, just don't expect salaries above SGD4K per month.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say 4-5k for setup costs, what exactly does that include?
If I could get a non-CELTA job for 4k SGD per month, I assume its a dive of a school/cram school and I assume I could save about 1k SGD per month after rent/cooking 7 days a week/no drinking lifestyle. WailingImam would you pls answer these questions as I am about to go nuts with tryng to decide my future after korea. Thank you sir.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to know too. Singapore sounds like a really nice place to get one's bearings before moving on or perhaps even staying long term. I myself am very interested in Malaysia (esp. East Malaysia), Indonesia (esp. Sumatra), and Singapore is the definite livable hub from which to explore.
I can say gloomy that if it were me I'd try to be optimistic- I shudder to think of living in Korea for very long, even if it does pay well (nothing against the Korean people and no offense to teachers who love it).
The Imam advised me to just hit the streets to find work, so I guess that means you better come with Singapore style cash. I'm sure he's not fibbing in his promise that you can find work. If the very worst happened, jump on train to Thailand get work and regroup. All part of the adventure of teaching English in the tropics!
Imam, we could use a few figures if you have the time. How much does a shoestringer need to squeeze his way in to hygienic but cheap spartan lodgings? 'Roughly' how long till the first paycheck? Is market food cheap (both for cooking oneself and food stall style)? Cheap and easy to get around? That sort of thing. We're in your debt.
I'm a non-drinking non-partying frugal bore as well. I find plants and watching street scenes high entertainment. Zero cost.
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Imam to the rescue please. And no fights with Kayu or it'll get derailed as in the past and us poor folk will never get our much-needed tips.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 4k a month the frugal man can:

Rent an HDB flat (entire) - 2kish
Rent a room in a condo - 1kish

Food, transport, entertainment, bills 1.2kish

So there you are. Live alone and save almost 1k
Share a flat: Save almost 2k

As I have said before, start up costs are hotel until find a flat (SGD70 a night in cheap backpacker place), food (SGD10-15 a day) and transport (minimal). Once you have found a flat you'll need to pay one month up front, one month deposit, half a month agent fee. If you rent your own flat this could cost 5k or more. If you rent a room this could cost 2k or more.

Finding a decent job here can take time. Don't get desperate and accept a less than 4k per month job or those savings will start to disappear.
elliotb2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Imam. You�re helping me work through the SG job app process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: