Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sophia International Education Institute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnflowers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Sophia International Education Institute Reply with quote

Greetings,

Any one heard of them? They are in Taoyuan county, Bade/Daxi. The town is small but I can't be too fussy I am finding it hard to secure a job as it is.
I have been to South Korea and Hong Kong so I have a fair understanding of Asia.
Is 5200 TW$ Per month acceptable for a Qualified teacher? It is approximately TW$ 650 P/H. It is very low by Australian standards but I am assuming the cost of living there is very low.
As much as I would like to pack my bags, fly over next week and pound the pavement and find a job myself, I can not afford to do it.
Anyone heard of Kingruei Enterprises. Sandra King is at the helm.
Thanks in advance.
dangerousapple

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope 5200NT per month is a typo. An hourly rate of 650NT is great for a new teacher (non-Taiwan teaching experience counts for next to nothing here), but if you're hardly working any hours then it doesn't matter what your hourly rate is.
creztor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He probably meant 52,000 NT.
Johnflowers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: n Reply with quote

creztor wrote:
He probably meant 52,000 NT.

Creztor is right. I omitted the comma. I did basic research, at that rate per month $ TW 52,000 is average. But I am trying to get a higher rate from other job applications. I am not a novice in education and know I can get a competitive salary.
Anyone need a real teacher at their school? I'm a good teacher! Very Happy
Dr_Zoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: n Reply with quote

Johnflowers wrote:
Anyone need a real teacher at their school? I'm a good teacher! Very Happy

In Taiwan, the ability to teach English has absolutely nothing to do with teaching English.

For the Taiwanese, a good teacher is:

white
female
young
tall
thin
blonde hair, blue eyes

The more of those qualifications you have, the more successful your job search will be.
cb400

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been offered a position with this school.

Of course it is for an 'immediate' start. What I don't understand is they are not willing to offer me more, for 8 years teaching experience combined with syllabus design and DOS experience. Is this normal in TW? Or would I get better offers on the ground there? In Vietnam you literally have to beat back the schools as the demand is so great, is TW the opposite?

Also I do not have a degree but I do have a TESOL and cambridge certification? Is it possible to get work legally there? I would like to teach business E if possible,

Thank you for any help/advice
steve_c

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb400 wrote:
I have been offered a position with this school.

Of course it is for an 'immediate' start. What I don't understand is they are not willing to offer me more, for 8 years teaching experience combined with syllabus design and DOS experience. Is this normal in TW? Or would I get better offers on the ground there? In Vietnam you literally have to beat back the schools as the demand is so great, is TW the opposite?

Also I do not have a degree but I do have a TESOL and cambridge certification? Is it possible to get work legally there? I would like to teach business E if possible,

Thank you for any help/advice

A bachelor's degree, or associate's degree+TESOL cert., is the minimum required to obtain a legal work permit. I wouldn't advise working illegally, but to each his own.

Wages are pretty standard, and you'll find your experience may not count for much. As others have commented, most buxibans are looking for an energetic, foreign-looking face who can immediately replace an exiting teacher, one who won't complain, won't try to change the system, and who will keep the kiddies happy so their parents will re-enroll them.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what Steve said.

Teaching experience outside Taiwan counts for approximately zip towards securing yourself a better wage or working conditions. Hell, teaching experience in Taiwan doesn't count for much..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: