Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

prospects in Italy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knautica

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: prospects in Italy Reply with quote

Hi there , can you please advise me about EFL job prospects and pay in Italy.

I have;

TESOL Cert,
TESOL Diploma,
HND Business Studies,
first degree (Open University UK),
masters degree (MA Education),
PGCE (post compulsory) = equivalent of PGDE.

I�m a director of studies of an EFL Dept. at a UK College of FE and facing possible redundancy. I�ve been teaching for 17 years.

Given my situation, what kind of jobs and salary might I expect Thanks very much for your help.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you're facing possible redundancy.

I recently saw some positions advertised roughly equivalent to your current one. For example, Marcus Evans (Linguarama) are looking for a DOS (advertised on tefl.com) for their Rome branch. Salary roughly �2000 pcm. I know of other similar positions paying broadly similar salaries.

Do you speak Italian? That might count against you otherwise, meaning you might have to come in at a lower level, then focus on getting your Italian skills up to a functioning level before you can go for DOS positions.

Generally speaking, salaries are higher in north Italy, but cost of living is also higher there, too. In my opinion, the further south you go, the more fun you have, and the better you eat. But even with the more reserved northerners, adapt your expectations. Italy is chaotic, last-minute, a think-on-your-feet type of place, and the challenges you'd face as a DOS here are probably very different to what you have in the UK.

If you're looking to make a permanent move, with your experience and qualifications you could do well here. If Italy really is a likely destination for you, come over and possibly accept a lower-paying role to nail the language, get a feel for what it's like teaching, then go for the management roles. (Forget uni posts - they're rare and not that well paid.)

Hope that helps!
sophieisidoro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: teaching in italy Reply with quote

I agree with Teacher in Rome that it might be a good idea for you to take a lower paid non management position so that you could just concentrate on getting adjusted to Italy. It might mean initially having some savings to fall back on for those unpaid holidays. Italy is a wonderful place to live for both climate and food...I would definitely recommend Rome, the eternal city. Look as well for schools that have been accredited by AISLI as these often have better working conditions for teachers. You can just google their name and a list of schools accredited by them will come up. Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: