Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

job hunting in Germany

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ioamosalerno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: job hunting in Germany Reply with quote

Guten Tag! I am on the ground in Dusseldorf, Germany and have a few questions for anyone who can help:
1) in what part of Germany is English least spoken in? from what I remember last time I was here, it was more difficult in the former east...
2) are most language schools hiring for an extended contract or freelance?
3) are freelance work permits valid throughout all of Germany, or like regular work permits, only valid in the issuing state? (for US citizens)
Danke and thanks for any insight.
gjj

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct that English skills in the east are probably lower than in the west, because Russian used to be taught in schools rather than English. But they are catching up fast.

The vast majority of langauage schools these days only recruit freelance teachers. In Duesseldorf, I believe that Steven's still hire contract staff.

There is no such thing as a freelance work permit. You have to go to the Auslaenderamt and get an amendment to your residence permit, which allows you to work as a freelance English teacher (sometimes only for particular schools). It is only valid for the jurisdiction of the Auslaenderamt - e.g. Duesseldorf, but can easily be changed should you move elsewhere.

Good luck!

GJ
Tina23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work for Linguarama D�sseldorf as a contract teacher, they usually employ a mixture of freelance and contract teachers.
As far as I'm aware, Target also offer contracts, though the hiring process seems to be quite strict (demo lessons, submitting lesson plans, several interviews...) Their contracts tend to be for longer than one year as well. Other than that, it's mostly freelance.
ETA

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Dusseldorf you would have a better chance being employed by the fashion industry. Head to small town Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Thuringia, Brandenburg, Sachsen, or Sachsen-Anhalt and you might get lucky with a contract. The East is much more undiscovered, beautiful nature and most of all, the people in the Eastern part of Germany are much more down to earth and real than the materialistic West
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: