Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

chile vs argentina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roro825

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: chile vs argentina Reply with quote

hi, i'm currently working on getting my tefl in santiago and am trying to decide whether to stay here and teach, go to vina, or go to buenos aires. i've heard such amazing things about b.a. but am worried about it not being completely stable economically and am not sure how hard it is to find work there since it seems to be a popular choice. anyone have any advice? thanks!
archie157

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I was actually just wondering what you decided to do. I'm still in the states planning on moving to S.A. in the spring, and cannot decide between Santiago or Buenos Aires. Thoughts?

Thanks!
roro825

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i decided to move to buenos aires. i love it. i definitely recommend it over santiago. of course, it depends on your experience and prefs, but i def prefer b.a. by far and away. if u have any specific questions, def feel free to pm me.
Mbarbetta1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roro825 wrote:
hey, i decided to move to buenos aires. i love it. i definitely recommend it over santiago. of course, it depends on your experience and prefs, but i def prefer b.a. by far and away. if u have any specific questions, def feel free to pm me.

Hey roro825: I am currently trying to find a job in either B.A. or Montevideo. Any advice you can give on how to find a job or a contact in B.A. would be greatly appreciated. If you have any useful tips please pass them along!
Best,
Mike
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He hasn't posted for a while. Have you checked the country specific forums?
saltshaker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Chile or Argentina? Reply with quote

I did a TEFL in Buenos Aires and afterwards went to Santiago to look for work. Here are the facts: Chilean employers almost universally require a work visa. The few schools that do not require one pay very little money (about 6-7 dollars/hour). If you are planning on being there for a year, then some schools will help you get the work visa. Then the pay is roughly 10-14 dollars per hour. Also consider that Chile boasts the stongest economy in S. America. The cost of living is high.

Jobs in Buenos Aires are plentiful. Argentine culture is very liberal and it is easy to work 'en negro,' or under the table. The pay is about 10-11 dollars per hour, but the classes are usually split shift and require you to commute all over town. Be prepared for some frustration. Work visas are essentially unheard of. To renew your visa head to Colonia, Uruguay for the afternoon and then you'll get another 90 days. I taught there for three months, but soon left because it is nearly impossible to make as much as you'll spend. The cost of living has greatly risen in the past year. Inflation is at 25-30% since 2010. It no longer is a cheap place to live. I found that I typically spent 300-400 dollars more per month than I made. This was in working 21 piecemeal hours. If you find a 30 hour schedule, then you could possibly make an amount equal to your cost of living; but there would be no savings. It's a great city, though.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone have any info on teaching in Panama?

Thanks,

John
spanglish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, my research has led me to conclude the following.

Argentina - great cities, scenery and food. Impossible to find a decent job or get a work visa.

Chile - underrated for scenery, reputed to be unfriendly, relatively high cost of living, possible to do get a good job and work visa, closest to 1st world living in Latin America.

All that has led me to put Chile down as my next destination if I continue in Latin America. I'm hoping to take a little scouting trip at the end of this year.
saltshaker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. If you're a licensed teacher, then the work in Argentina might not be considered suitable; but trust me, the jobs are plentiful. However, you do need a TEFL certificate for most of them. The institute where I did the TEFL sent out my resume on a Monday morning and I got two phone calls within a couple of hours. It's easy to get a job within one-two weeks in Buenos Aires. Conversely, albeit the list of institutes in Santiago was much smaller, my resume went out and I didn't receive a single response for a week. Then I searched craigslist, saw a posting and set up an interview. He asked me to prepare a 15 minute class, which I did, and then during the interview he asked me if I had a work visa. I said that I didn't and that was where the interview ended. Subsequently, I went in person to other corporate chains of institutes, such as Wallstreet and Berlitz, and ran into this same problem. Almost universally they require a work visa in Chile. In Argentina, no. It's all done under the table. Just be aware of this; however, if you can commit to teaching there for one year, then some institutes will help you get a work visa. But beware, you must have one. There is one place where you don't need to, but they pay 2,800 pesos per hour as opposed to 7-8,000 for the other schools.

Good luck with your search. I just figured this info might be helpful since I went through all of this in May-August, 2011. It's accurate info.
Irish Lad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these details, saltshaker. Recent, accurate information from in-country posters is always invaluable. These observations will be immensely helpful to anyone trying to make a decision about either of these two countries.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saltshaker wrote:
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. If you're a licensed teacher, then the work in Argentina might not be considered suitable; but trust me, the jobs are plentiful.

Wouldn't a licensed teacher be able to work at an intl school and make abotu $3K a month?

That's good that many places in Chile require work visas for teachers, but it seems like few institutes are actually willing to go through the paperwork to get one, is that true?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: