Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need a degree.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dangman13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Do I need a degree. Reply with quote

I have been teaching in China for the last year and have just signed another 12 month contract. I have no University degree so this limits which contries I can work as a teacher, someone told me that you could teach in Brazil without a degree. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is true or maybe you are working in Brazil, either way all advice and help will be much appreciated. Thanks dangman13.[/b]
Vecchia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends whether you work in an international school, university or for one of the chains.
I have a degree and a celta but the school I work for never asked to see any certificates. (I work for one of the chains)
Maybe someone else can comment on the others; I suspect you`ll need a pgce or similar for them.
So, yes its possible! Brazil is a great country and my students and workmates are the best I`ve ever had.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vecchia,

Im very interested in teaching in Brazil. Im currently teaching in South Korea. Planning on teaching in Colombia nxt year then Brazil would be next.

What type of chain do you work for, and what are the most viable options for someone with a degree but not a licensed teacher?

What is the visa situation?

How much are you making?

How much is the cost of living (rent, ect.)?

Thanks man!
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visa situation depends on what passport you hold. You can get a six month visa as an American.
Vecchia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaTHeels wrote:

What type of chain do you work for, and what are the most viable options for someone with a degree but not a licensed teacher?

What is the visa situation?

How much are you making?

How much is the cost of living (rent, ect.)?

Thanks man!

Hi there,

The visa situation is complicated but you will be able to get by on just a tourist visa. If you are EU, USA, Aus, NZ and a few others you get 90 days + 90 days. You have to go to Policia Federal after 90 days to renew for the second 90 days. This is not guarunteed however, it is at the discretion of the agent on the day, but I was there a few days ago and had no problem.
If you stay beyond the 180 days it is no real problem but you are fined when you eventually leave the country. I`ve heard this fine tops out at 827 reis (about �280). So theoretically you could stay here for 2 years and only pay the 827 reais but you won`t be able to leave Brasil during this time! Once you leave Brasil you have to wait 6 months before you can come back.
Will you get employed on a tourist visa? It totally depends on the director of the shool. Wizard, Minds, ICBEU etc all offered me jobs without one and I currently work for a different school without one. So, it is entirely possible to do so. Will you get caught and get locked upt? Highly doubtful! The way I see it is that policia federal have bigger fish to fry than TEFL`ers and I imagine their budget is stretched as it is- especially in the nordeste.

Salaries vary enormously throughout the country but I earn approx $20 reis an hour as a native speaker. I`m still not breaking even but I`m starting up a small 3 man `company` with 3 brazilian teachers and we are targeting the companies in and around Sao Luis to offer english courses. We have one contract so far and hopefully more will come. If you want to survive and have a comfortable life out here you have to be very pro active and do stuff like this. But there is money to be made in Brazil I`m telling you!

Living costs also vary but to give you a rough idea I spend �250 on rent. And it`s nothing special I can assure you but I got it for the location and safety aspect. I spend approx $30-35 reis a day on food etc. So, in my opinion you need maybe $2000 (�600-700) reis a month to live (including rent and bills) realatively comfortably in my city. I don`t really cook so you could cut this figure down easily I think.

I hope this helps, brazil can drive you crazy sometimes but its a fantastic country.
JZer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about getting an apartment with internet already hooked up? Is that difficult?
Vecchia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it`s quite easy to find them. If the flat you want doesn`t have internet included you can pick up a 3G dongle pretty easily (once you get a CPF). �30 per month 10 gig limit.
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fast is the 3G dongle in Brazil? Can you use Skype with it?

Vecchia, thanks for your help.
Vecchia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it totally depends on the area you live in. For example, connections in the nordeste are not great but in the south they are better due to better infrastructure. Also, they tend to throttle the connection during peak hours. I haven`t used mine for skype but to give you an idea of the speed, I download movies, tv series and music using bittorrent software and usually get a download speed of 110kbps. I know it depends on seeds etc but this is the average speed I get.
Also, the companies vary wildly in price and quality. Claro is regarded as the best but is v pricey and Oi has the best deals but crappy customer service and flakey connections. I use Oi because it's the cheapest and you can cancel the contract at any time. Most of the others tie you for a year...
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how difficult it is to get 3G service if one does not speak Portuguese. Sorry I can't learn all the languages in the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: