Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are trains cheap?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Walker wrote:
Poland always reminds me of the movie "Dazed and Confused".It's a great ride for awhile.Loads of fun.Wine, women and song non-stop.

Alas,the end of summer party at the moon tower arrives.You have your last drink and toke and then most decide to move on and get on with life while a few decide to stick around in the dazed zone and keep on partying and putting off the real world.

Funny, this description doesn't describe most of the teachers I work with at all. In fact, in the 3+ years I've been in Poland, the middle-aged, womanising, booze hound, night-owl teachers have been the exception not the rule.

Most of the teachers I work with are English guys over 40 with families who met the right Polish girl and wound up in Poland for good. They know they could be making more money back home, but they like teaching in Poland and/or their wives won't leave so they remain here.

These guys (mostly) don't drink much and have to call their wives if they are in the pub past ten. Best of all they don't complain about Poland much.

I think the profile of the 'native speaker teacher' has changed quite a bit over the last 10-20 years.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And should things progress between you and you know who, you can add yourself to the description you described above Smile
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

People use this forum to vent their spleens;of that I am guilty. I'd just like to say I love Poland. Polish students are the best I've taught. Polish women are amongst the prettiest in the world. I love Polish food. I have hundreds of Polish friends. My girlfriend is Polish. However, the TEFL industry there is krap and long-term will leave you up the creek.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

You may have a point there, Simon.

sharter wrote:
People use this forum to vent their spleens;of that I am guilty. I'd just like to say I love Poland. Polish students are the best I've taught. Polish women are amongst the prettiest in the world. I love Polish food. I have hundreds of Polish friends. My girlfriend is Polish. However, the TEFL industry there is krap and long-term will leave you up the creek.

Where is the TEFL industry not krap? It's the same in most countries: Poorly regulated with lots of fly-by-night schools and a few good ones.

Perhaps you can earn more and get more benefits in the Mid-East, but I sure wouldn't like to live there long-term.
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mastershake wrote:

Quote:
Where is the TEFL industry not krap?

then why would you persue a career in TEFL?
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
mastershake wrote:

Quote:
Where is the TEFL industry not krap?

then why would you persue a career in TEFL?

As I wrote, there are a few diamonds in the doo-doo (i.e. reputable schools that pay decent money). I'm lucky to have worked for a few of them.

Plus, I believe teaching English is a more interesting and rewarding job than a lot of the jobs I could be doing back in the States. These jobs would of course pay more but, hey, money isn't everything.

I spend a lot of time these days meeting with some of the more educated, ambitious and influential people in businesses in Poland. I get to hear their opinions and advice on pretty much any topic I choose and I correct them when they make mistakes. For me, right now this is worth not making $50,000+ a year.

Last edited by Master Shake on Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mastershake wrote:

Quote:
Plus, I believe teaching TEFL is more rewarding and entertaining than a lot of the jobs back in the States that pay more. Money isn't everything.

how is the job itself different......or better as you say....than in the US?
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Listening to influential people doesn't feed my son or pay for his sailing and skiing trips. The real world...ie the one in which adults live, get married and have kids requires money. Unfortunately, in Poland you can't make enough on your own to have more than the minimum. Of course you can marry well or sponge off your parents ad infinitum Smile.

The Polish market is dominated by dodgy language schools. There are uni jobs but they're not gonna pay that much and then you've got the hassle of privates.

Yes, I'm in the Middle East; the difference between here and Poland is that here even the shite jobs pay you enough to have a good life ie purchasing power, sailing, quad biking, diving, 5*gyms, 9 months of beach life and barbecues etc. My son wants for nothing. I choose not to accept the mediocrity that a life in Polish TEFL permits.[/list]
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
Listening to influential people doesn't feed my son or pay for his sailing and skiing trips. The real world...ie the one in which adults live, get married and have kids requires money. Unfortunately, in Poland you can't make enough on your own to have more than the minimum. Of course you can marry well or sponge off your parents ad infinitum Smile.

Of course you can. It's really not that difficult in a big city to take home at least 5000zl a month net if you've got half a brain. Sure, it requires hard