Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

annual conference
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: yep! Reply with quote

Konichiwa Lucy-chan:

Thank God for JR! Yes, I took the train (sometimes the Shinkansen) every weekend into Harajuku, Shinjuku and other assorted enclaves of Tokyo excitement, although to be honest, Tsuchiura didn't really bore me all that much. I'm pretty easy to please. Wink

Plus, I had good friends in Kashiwa, so I spent a good deal of time there as well. And by comparison, Kashiwa was a REAL city, if ya know what I mean.

It was a very enjoyable two years in Japan for me, by the way. I often 'toy' with the idea of going back. I guess when the money runs out it's always an option.

Warm wishes,
kEnt

PS: Many years ago (between 1991 & 1993) on frequent train journeys between Munich and Cluj-Napoca in Romania, I often stopped for a few days in Budapest. I still have great memories of sitting on the "Corso" along the Donau River in front of the Inter-Continental Hotel, drinking Hungarian beer, listening to the folk music and just watching the people go by. As they say in your neck of the woods, "Agashigadra!" Cool
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohayo keNt:

We liked Kashiwa too--my husband taught a few classes at a private university there.

Do you remember the park in Tsuchiura that had a pitiful zoo with animals jailed in small cages? I think that's why I have such a bad memory of the place.

The Duna is still here, and the nighttime view of the palace, the Parliament and the Lanchid (Chain Bridge) still amazes me. It's what I'm going to miss most when I leave next month. Oh, that and the fruit brandies.

Hungarian beer, unfortunately, doesn't impress us much. Bring on the Budweiser or Pilsner. With a shot on the side. Smile
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: it's a small world afterall ... Reply with quote

Hello Lucy:

No; I've never been to that zoo you mentioned. As a rule, I can't stand the sight of wild animals in a cage. It's a personal quirk of mine. Cool

So, you're leaving Budapest next month? What's next on the travel agenda for Ms. Snow? With a name like "Snow", you'd love Russia!

Take care,
KEnT
M.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Eurofag bike tour Reply with quote

Kent and all,

sorry for the delay, I was biking in Tiergarten and sucking cappos with Antje and all The Deutsch.....watchin the Tourists. Plus 18 here yesterday. Suweet.

Japan. I want to get a job by August if possible. I got 5 years in Moscow, and One in Deutcshland under the belt. So, Hopefully I will qualify for some kind of back-up-assisstant-helper-teacher. More Bus. English, than Gerneral. But I imagine all of you have covered most of everything in the EFl zone over the years. Any connections to Japan would be good. I started on a bit of Japanese. Cant be must worse than Russian in someways at least. I hear these conversations schools arent bad.

Kent if you havent been to The Crimea. Go. Excellent. Cheap and the people are tres laid back. Check out Odessa as well if you have the time.

Tschuss...................M.
M.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: Spelling...... Reply with quote

Yikes. Dont worrrrry follks I cann Spell. Just wasnt.....Passsing Auf. These German Keyboards drive me krazy..............

Willl spelll beetter in futur.

M.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: hello "M" Reply with quote

Guten Tag "M":

We will forgive spelling errors since you have a good excuse. Very Happy Not all keyboards are created equally. It's true.

As for Japan, your best bet is to browse around a little on the Japan Forum and the Job Information Journal. There are plenty of people who are working in Japan now who can probably provide better tips than I can.

My knowledge is a bit dated, is what I'm trying to say. I worked for a smaller chain-school called "Promesa Academy Club" which has branches in Tsuchiura, Kashiwa and Toride. Unfortunately, they don't have much of a Web presence, and VERY rarely advertise for positions. In fact, during the past few years of browsing Dave's, I've never seen a single advert from them.

I just may heed your advice about the Crimea and/or Odessa. I have 2 weeks of paid summer holiday coming up. I was thinking about Sochi on the Black Sea ... or maybe St. Petersburg, but I'm flexible.

Best wishes,
KeNt

PS: Learning to speak a little Japanese is not too terribly difficult. With 3 distinct alphabets, however, learning to read and write Japanese is as close to living hell as you can get. Twisted Evil
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the China posters. We can hold a breath-taking seminar on 'How to survive disease-induced panic' or perhaps 'Tai chi moves for deterring groping, disease laden primary students.' Bring your surgical masks and vinegar.

We are going to petition to change the phrase 'avoid ____ like the plague' to 'avoid ____ like SARS.'
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Leaving Budapest Reply with quote

keNt:

Off to Holland as soon as I can get the moving companies to reduce their estimates.

"Snow" is my "nom de net"--my real name is one of those unpronouncable Eastern European types. So, I probably would like Russia--or maybe not. My grandfather left Europe so he wouldn't have to be in the Russian army. Then he discovered that he didn't like Americans all that much either.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.

I think you'll find learning Japanese a breeze - speaking it at least - after Russian. I still have nightmares about noun and adjective tables and verb aspects. You can leave that all behind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: