Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in the Netherlands?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcella

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Teaching in the Netherlands? Reply with quote

I know, I know, it's a long-shot, but if anyone knows anything about teaching opportunities in the Netherlands, particularly Amsterdam or Rotterdam, please share. I prefer university or adult instruction. I have American and EU citizenship and I'm a native speaker from the US. I have a TESOL certificate and am currently working toward a Masters degree in TESOL (I already hold an MA in another field). I have 2 years of ESL teaching experience in the US and currently teach in China, where I'll be for the next year. Hoping to head to Europe next fall or winter. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a bit about the university scene in the Netherlands, and with the MA (TESOL) you should have a decent shot at openings - but they aren't that common. You may have to get here, cobble together some part-time gigs to tide you over, and make contacts, while you work your way towards a position. Nijmegan is another possible location you might check out. I have also heard of a couple of openings in Utrecht over the past year.
Marcella

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Spiral78. Do you happen to know of any professional organizations in that area where I might make contacts? I won't be there for at least another year, but I want to start gathering info and making contacts early, so I don't miss any possible opportunities.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you happen to be a Cambridge examiner, I can hook you up with some of them. So far as TESL/TESOL organisations, I don't actually know of any.

TEFL/TESL isn't big business overall - the private schools seem to cater mostly to a few high-level businesspeople and to immigrants, though Dutch is the first priority of immigrants, due to language requirements by the government.

You'll be aware that Dutch people speak very functional English out of high school, right? By far the bulk of English language learning in the Netherlands takes place in public schools, and is taught by Dutch native speakers.

Jobs aren't abundant in general, but you might get lucky and land something at a university Language Centre, where the focus is on English for academic study.
Marcella

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spiral78. I know jobs for English teachers are not abundant in the Netherlands in general. I appreciate your post. I'm most interested in teaching academic English, actually, and I have experience with EAP, so hopefully I'll have good luck and find something at a university. I may try to contact you again next year when I head over, just in case you know about anything through one of your contacts. Hope that's OK with you!
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course. Feel free to send a pm if you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: