Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questionable headhunter? Scam?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: questionable headhunter? Scam? Reply with quote

Hello all! I have been looking for a job in taiwan for a few weeks now. I am in the US, so all my searching has been online. I have an interview with HESS and one with Asian Consultants as well. A third company, www.paidesljobs.com wants to interview as well. They have the job that I am most interested in so I'd like to interview with them. However, they charge a 395$ fee to BEGIN interviewing. I know placement fees are sometimes required, but AFTER the job placement. This just seems extremely suspicious to me. Has anyone heard of or used this website before? Thanks!

Ryan D
yamahuh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of them but I would strongly caution you against using ANY 'recruiting agency' that wants to charge you an up front fee - actually I wouldn't use any recruiter that charges the teacher a fee of any kind, but that's just me.
forefit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow they all sound pretty poor to me!
Sorry pal but the jobs and agents you mention ain't good.

www.paidesljobs.com sounds like a complete scam to me, having to pay get a job! Come on! Also Asian Consultants, I hear they also charge you a finder fee too.

Ah yes, Hess. I never hear many good things about this place. If you go onto Forumosa and do a search on Asian Consultants and Hess you will see they are ranked pretty low down.

Give Shane English School or Kojen (they ain't amazing by all means but a lot better than what you have mentioned) a try as they do hire people from abroad. Also if you want to try another agent try Reach to Teach or TEFLOne, try these four and see whats the best you can get.

Another option if you have the money is come here and look for a job here, you should easily be able to pick up work.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking too - the money on some of them sounds fine until you look at how many hours they expect you to work.

We almost went with Reach to Teach a few years back as they seemed fairly professional and had a good start-up support system for people arriving from overseas. Eventually we just found jobs ourselves but out of any of these so called 'recruiters' they'd be the one I checked out.

I'd recommend giving Dewey a wide berth as they seem completely disorganized and just keep sending the same job postings over and over and not reading the correspondence you send them back.
forefit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I didn't mention I went with TEFLOne they were very good and professional about it all. I can understand if you eager to go and get a job ASAP but I would back off on HESS and any agency that charges you to get you a job. There agencies make enough money charging the schools they should be charging you.
toteach

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: I paid the placement fee... Reply with quote

So I bit the bullet and paid the placement fee. I know, I know...

But they had jobs in my country of choice and interviews lined up almost immediately. And I found them online, they didn't find me. And I'm travelling with my young family and wanted a sure thing. I figured the cost of their placement was worth the risk, as the wage was amazing by ESL standards... Really, all of the warning bells went off together, so I was confused and excited and hopeful--and now pretty darn foolish. Embarassed (I've been doing ESL teaching since 1999 and thought I'd seen it all before!).

Long story cut short: It is 99.9% a scam. (That 0.1% of me is HOPING something will still come of it, though).

Save your money and avoid paidesljobs like the clap.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you thinking?

You said it sounded suspicious in your very first post - we advised you not to pay a fee up front - you say you wanted a 'sure thing' but assume that it's probably 99.9% a scam - then just to muddy the logic a bit more you go on to advise everyone to avoid the recruiter you just paid your money to???

Shocked

I looked at their job listings and trust me their wages aren't that good:

Teaching hours per Week: 35, Salary: 68.000

Teaching hours per Week: 35, Salary: Negotiable,

Teaching hours per Week: 35, Salary: 75.000 TWD/Month

Teaching hours per Week: 45, Salary: 60.000 TWD/Month Seriously???

Teaching hours per Week: 35, Salary: 65.000 TWD/Month

Teaching hours per Week: 35, Salary: Negotiable

Just to put those into perspective; their very best wage is $NT 75K for 35 hours a week. That = 140 hrs a month. 75,000 / 140 = $NT 535 / hr.

Sorry to burst your bubble but that is NOT a good hourly wage and for that many hours per week (even if you avoid burning yourself out) it's not even a particularly good salary. If I was to work that many hours (I actually might this month) I'd be making around $NT 20K more than their 'best' position.

Hope it all works out for you - let us know what happens...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: