Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bogot�: International House, Verve, Petersons English info
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niezihan

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kakki81 wrote:
Thanks to all of you for the info. I'm planning on coming to Colombia to teach in June, and it's nice to get some current info. I was wondering if you guys think I should go ahead and send my resume to these places or just wait till I get there to take it around in person.

I don't see any reason why not, as far as sending your resum� out. It seems that it's always better to be more prepared. I'd be terrified of just going to a foreign country and trying to find a job, although it appears that is the method many people have elected to use.
kakki81

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks niezihan. I've sent it out now to Peterson's, English Institute of Bogota, ABC English Institute and Kaplan. Can anybody recommend more schools to send to? I've got a list of a few more but just wondering if there are any I should be especially trying for.

CountBassD - I couldn't find a website for Verve - do you have a link or email address?
niezihan

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link to Verve is http://www.vervebogota.com/.

Just to let you know, with Peterson's, although you can send your r�sum�, I believe the selection process has to be done in person.
kakki81

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yeah I know I won't get hired anywhere till I show up, but I figured I'd go ahead and send it out.
JacobTM

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kakki81 wrote:
Thanks to all of you for the info. I'm planning on coming to Colombia to teach in June, and it's nice to get some current info. I was wondering if you guys think I should go ahead and send my resume to these places or just wait till I get there to take it around in person.

I don't have a Celta but I have a TEFL and 2 years experience teaching English at a public high school in Korea (as well as a Bachelor's and Master's from the states). Do you think I'll be able to pick up enough work coming in mid-June?

Also, how much on average are you able to save a month, if any?

Sending your resume to places is hit or miss, often the right person won't get it if it's just an email. When you are in Colombia (or before) call the places and ask to speak with someone about getting a job as an English teacher, then send whoever is in charge your resume AFTER talking with them on the phone, hopefully setting up an interview during the phone call.

You won't have a problem finding work with a cert and experience, the problem is finding good paying work that doesn't make you travel all around. I don't save ANY money. If you're very minimalist, you could maybe save a hundred bucks or so a month, but I've never been able to do that.
DinsdaleP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first post so a little background. I'm American, TEFL certified, 3 years experience in China. Now in Colombia and job-hunting.

Does anyone know anything about Cambridge Instituto de Languas? I interviewed there and got offered on the spot. Turned down initially because I liked First Class's presentation better, but the guy who runs the place, German, is trying really hard to get me to work there. Anyway I'm supposed to meet him tomorrow and was just wondwering if anyone knew anything about him or his school. Thanks
Sublime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Bogata as dangerous as everyone makes out? I mean from a recent programme I saw I'd be expecting to get kidnapped every time I went out after dark and mugged every 3rd block in daylight.

Weather looked crap too Crying or Very sad How does that generally hold up?

As for teaching, is it the norm to be sent all over the shop? As that's one of my pet hates, 1 hours travel for 1 hours teaching etc. I've done that before and I used to be knackered most of the time (even though I was barely working a 20 hour week at the time it felt like I was doing a full-time job with overtime).
windowlicker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sublime wrote:
Is Bogata as dangerous as everyone makes out? I mean from a recent programme I saw I'd be expecting to get kidnapped every time I went out after dark and mugged every 3rd block in daylight.

In Bogata, yes.
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you'll be lucky to make it out of the airport before being seized by the FARC guerrillas. I personally have been kidnapped 3 times.

Speaking seriously, yes, the weather is fairly bad in Bogota, sort of like Seattle in October...all the time. It's usually nice and sunny in the morning and it gets slightly warm, and then it's usually overcast and drizzly in the afternoon.

Most likely you will be traveling all over the place for institute work, but some do better than others with this.
Sublime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
Yeah, you'll be lucky to make it out of the airport before being seized by the FARC guerrillas. I personally have been kidnapped 3 times.

To be honest I'm more scared of the right-wing paramilitaries.
How did you 'escape' the kidnappers?

Quote:
Most likely you will be traveling all over the place for institute work, but some do better than others with this.

Doesn't sound like my line of coke. Too much travelling can make a part-time job into a full-time without the extra cash benefits.
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colombia has plenty of problems. Paramilitaries and kidnappings are a couple of them. My comments about being kidnapped were supposed to be read as sarcasm.

Narcotics and jungle guerrilla have had very little obvious/direct effect on my life since moving here 3 years ago.
Sublime

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, apart from the travelling to teach. Wink
windowlicker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sublime wrote:
To be honest I'm more scared of the right-wing paramilitaries.

Certainly a serious problem, but much less of an issue for a foreigner than the guerrilla. I'd almost say the current incarnation of the paracos presents zero threat to a foreign English teacher, unless of course you're into this:

Sublime wrote:

my line of coke.

In which case, you're doing enough damage to Colombia from abroad...no need to come here and cause more problems for the country.
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windowlicker wrote:
In which case, you're doing enough damage to Colombia from abroad...no need to come here and cause more problems for the country.

Hear, hear, Windowlicker.

Its hard to conceptualize, when hearing a negative news story about Colombia, just how big the country is. If you live in Bogota, you don't have run-ins with the FARC and they will not threaten your daily safety. The muggers might though.
maxmaxmilan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob this is really useful info about the language institutes - thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: