Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University English programs in Chile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torghay

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: University English programs in Chile Reply with quote

Hello All,

I am a curriculum developer working in Ecuador, trying to reorganize an English curriculum at a university here. I need to frame my proposal within the context of requirements at competitive universities in Chile, Columbia, and Peru, and am hoping someone out there can give me feedback on where the strong English programs are located, and perhaps send me the contact information of their administrators so I can ask them a few questions. I am particularly interested in language institutes within universities, as opposed to English departments that offer degrees.

I've sent out general queries to the TESOL special interest section I belong to, and received good responses, but none from Latin America. Any leads would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
spanglish

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to help you regarding Colombia, but if people are going to spend time helping you research it'd be nice to know something more about you.
torghay

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Spanglish.

I am a TEFL instructor who worked in the Middle East for several years, and moved into balancing my time between teaching and administration. When I relocated to Ecuador (recently), I accepted a project to do teacher training and curriculum development to help meet new governmental standards for English proficiency at universities. Governmental guidelines are as of yet undefined, so I am proposing the use of a general framework, like the CEFR to give us some direction, and working on scheduling issues.

My colleagues at the university are generally supportive of my goals, but they want to be able to place themselves within a Latin American context. They want a sense of the hours invested in attaining high-intermediate proficiency at institutions they would like to use as models, how the English courses are linked with the core curriculum, etc. Since I am new to Latin America, I don't have the background knowledge of other institutions to even know where to begin. As I mentioned earlier, requests for general information went unanswered here (though I received replies from elsewhere). I am not interested in trying to transplant a curriculum, but rather to build on what we have here, in collaboration with the teachers. Any information gathered from other institutions would serve as context for our goals and, hopefully, help me reinforce the point that it is unrealistic to ask beginners in an EFL context to reach professional level proficiency in 250 hours.

If you have more questions, I'm happy to answer them. Please pm me.

Thanks!
Jampen26

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torghay,

have you had any luck on finding contact etails for language institues based within unis?

J
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you give me specific names I could help since I read Spanish and could find my way around their sites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: