Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

INJUSTICE IN BAHRAIN
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RUBALKHALI

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: INJUSTICE IN BAHRAIN Reply with quote

I am soooo shocked to have read about the ridiculous yet very serious sentencing of Bahraini doctors and nurses to as much as 15 years in prison for saving lives and treating wounded people at the Pearl roundabout when the protesters were attacked.

There is soo much death, pain, suffering, injustice, inhumane treatment of people, a total lack of human rights and so on in Bahrain...I ask what can I do?

Then I read on Dave's ESL CAFE some threads about people trying to find out how to buy BOOZE!!

My WORD!!...and they educate people???

OR on another thread I read ridiculous argueing about who is the biggest hypocrite, collaborator, culprit( the USA or the UK) for supporting the Regime in Bahrain...and turning a blind eye to the inhuman suffering and injustice...

What a total lack of compassion, understanding and SUPPORT for the people of Bahrain. ...and CALL FOR JUSTICE!

I also notice not too many recent postings for Bahrain on Dave's ESL...and I wonder, has it been black listed in Bahrain?

I cannot imagine how any person currently working or living in Bahrain with a credible conscience, could simply ignore what is going on and pretend that it's business as usual!!
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just saw that on the evening news.

The Bahrain government is nuts. Barbarians at the gate! Twisted Evil

MEB Cool
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A postscript...

The UN has officially condemned their crackdown on their own citizens.

That'll teach 'em.

Sure makes me feel better.

MEB Cool
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have never been many posts on the Bahrain board. And most of them were from Saudi teachers discussing the weekend attractions. Not many expat teachers in that small place.

This case is as disgusting as the Libyan case a few years back where expat nurses and doctors were accused of injecting kids with AIDS. But this one is in many ways sicker than the Libyan case. I believe that most, if not all, of those tried are Bahrainis.

And thus far crickets from the US, who care only about keeping their Naval access. Pathetic...

VS
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...RAK, are you saying that you've noticed a lowered level of intelligence and English competence on Dave's, especially on the Saudi board?

This is shocking news!!!

Actually, I'm amazed that many of them can continue to post as it's obvious that they're such drooling cases, I figure that many of the posters must ruin their keyboards!

It's true! It's true!
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahrain was once considered a prime tourist destination in the Persian Gulf.

Its malls and museums are spectacular. And its premier waterpark, the Lost Paradise of Dilmun, is not to be missed.

But the recent news reports are disturbing. In fact...

...it's scary!

Shocked
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:

Its malls and museums are spectacular. And its premier waterpark, the Lost Paradise of Dilmun, is not to be missed.

But the recent news reports are disturbing. In fact...

...it's scary!

Shocked

Tag! You're it!!!

It's fun!
posh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: INJUSTICE IN BAHRAIN Reply with quote

RUBALKHALI wrote:
Then I read on Dave's ESL CAFE some threads about people trying to find out how to buy BOOZE!!

My WORD!!...and they educate people???

So teachers can't drink alcohol?

Doh!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:

Are you serious or was this meant as humor? Who would ever consider it a "prime tourist destination"? I spent a few days visiting a friend at the university there, and enjoyed the lovely little museum (which could fill a couple hours if you are really into the archaeology of the area) and the archeological sites themselves. The souq area was good for a couple hours.

It's a decent day trip or one day layover, but that's about it unless you are visiting friends...

VS
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Captain_Fil wrote:

Are you serious or was this meant as humor? Who would ever consider it a "prime tourist destination"? I spent a few days visiting a friend at the university there, and enjoyed the lovely little museum (which could fill a couple hours if you are really into the archaeology of the area) and the archeological sites themselves. The souq area was good for a couple hours.

It's a decent day trip or one day layover, but that's about it unless you are visiting friends...

VS

Bahrain has been a popular destination for celebrities such as Ivanka Trump and the late Michael Jackson.

That seems to qualify Bahrain as a prime tourist spot...

CF
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Captain_Fil,

Have you ever been there? I have - and I guess you could consider it a "prime tourist destination" if the "prime tourists" were all Western EFL teachers who live/work in Saudi and go over the causeway to quench various "thirsts."

Otherwise, Bahrain is probably be about as "prime" a "tourist destination" as, say, Podunk, Michigan is (in a bad winter.) Very Happy

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
Bahrain has been a popular destination for celebrities such as Ivanka Trump and the late Michael Jackson.

I can only think that your examples (two aging 'has beens' with more money than brains) are merely to add to the humor of the idea of Bahrain and "prime tourist spot" in the same post. Laughing

I too expect that you have never been there...

VS
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Captain_Fil wrote:

I can only think that your examples (two aging 'has beens' with more money than brains) are merely to add to the humor of the idea of Bahrain and "prime tourist spot" in the same post. Laughing

I too expect that you have never been there...

VS

I have never been to Monte Carlo nor the French Riviera. But I know those two places are prime tourist spots.

That is, prime destinations for the rich, the very rich and the rich and famous...

Cool
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that you should be hired as a writer for Saturday Night Live. Laughing Laughing

Monte Carlo/French Rivera and Bahrain... Shocked

Laughing Laughing

VS
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I'm thinking that you should be hired as a writer for Saturday Night Live. Laughing Laughing

Monte Carlo/French Rivera and Bahrain... Shocked

Laughing Laughing

VS

If you dismiss Bahrain as a prime tourist spot, that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion.

But you cannot dismiss the Philippines. The PI truly is a prime tourist destination.

In that lavish land...the beautiful beaches of Boracay and Pagudpud, the floating restaurant called Isdaan, the serene and scenic resort of Villa Escudero, the magnificent Mount Samat, the incredibly big and breathtaking Mall of Asia, the wondrous Windmills of Banqui, the fantastic and family-friendly Enchanted Kingdom, the awesome Angeles City, the various SM and Robinsons malls, etc.

With affordable prices, friendly people and a warm climate - it's perfect!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: