Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 15 Countries With The Fastest Internet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Top 15 Countries With The Fastest Internet Reply with quote

You might be surprised:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/22/fastest-internet-speed-pando-august-2011_n_975491.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Hint: the US isn't on the list, and neither are any major (i.e. Great Britian, France, Germany, Italy) European countries.

Regards,
John
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not all about speed, though - quality of service is a more important factor, in my opinion.

For example, I'm in Japan - #6 on the list. My speed is pretty constant. I have a friend who works in S. Korea. He's got blazing fast internet, but only within Korea. His bandwidth is filtered to US and Canadian sites. Moreover, he gets horrible pings in online games when he connects to US servers - 100ms more than I do, and I'm only 100KM East of him.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have DSL in Mexico, and I can�t tell a difference between the speed here and in the US. And, I have consistantly good service, I haven�t had a service outage in the last three years.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
I have DSL in Mexico, and I can�t tell a difference between the speed here and in the US. And, I have consistantly good service, I haven�t had a service outage in the last three years.

Uploading is where you notice the difference. All the providers in Mexico seem to only offer upload speeds at 1/10 the download speed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:

Uploading is where you notice the difference. All the providers in Mexico seem to only offer upload speeds at 1/10 the download speed.

Could be, but I rarely upload anything bigger than a resume, or a photo, so hadn�t really noticed. I Skype a lot, even with video, and it�s always clear, both voice and video. So I am happy. If I did other things, maybe I wouldn�t be.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Monkey wrote:
It's not all about speed, though - quality of service is a more important factor, in my opinion.

For example, I'm in Japan - #6 on the list. My speed is pretty constant. I have a friend who works in S. Korea. He's got blazing fast internet, but only within Korea. His bandwidth is filtered to US and Canadian sites. Moreover, he gets horrible pings in online games when he connects to US servers - 100ms more than I do, and I'm only 100KM East of him.

I think that "speed" needs to be looked at in context.

If you mean absolute speed in terms of a ping with a 64 byte data packet then yes, Korea is slower (correctly has a higher latency) but if you mean in terms of volume they have damn big pipes and are significantly faster.

Doing file transfers (multi gigabyte files) using a peer to peer protocol, IN KOREA, I regularly have download speeds of 22-54Mbps (wireless) and upload speeds in excess of 13Mbps and can download a 4.7 gigabyte file in a very short span of time and upload one in not much more time.

At my house in Thailand my speeds are 9Mbps down and 1Mbps up and that is standard (wired) 10baseT DSL speeds.

In the Philippines the standards speeds (in the city) are 2Mbps down and 0.5Mbps up (wired).

VietCanada

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Korea noticeably faster than Canada when I was there. In fact I could connect to yahoo much, much quicker from Korea than Toronto.

But that was a few years ago. Today in Vietnam I just received a new modem. With DSL I am seeing the fastest dl speeds I have ever seen. (emphasis on I) I see speeds pushing 2 mb/s regularly. I now dl 1.5 gb files in minutes and 8-10 gb files in a couple hours. I am amazed. I am told 15mbs is my upper limit. I don't know or really care about the upload limit. 6 mbs I think.

Pretty good deal for just under $25 a month compared to Canada anyway.

Occasional problems with facebook here. Power goes off occasionally with no explanation or estimate. Every Tuesday from 800-1600 hrs at one time.

So yeah, Korea was the best in my experience if reliability is considered. Canada with it's costs and metering is by far the worst on planet earth if you want MHO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: