Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming to Ecuador without a pre-arranged job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
viv123

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Coming to Ecuador without a pre-arranged job Reply with quote

I am hoping to work in Ecuador next year, but so far I haven't been able to line up a job from home. I'm confused about the Cultural Exchange visas. Do I need a prospective employer to sponsor me for one, or can I just apply for one through my embassy, and then hope to find a job once I'm in Ecuador?

Do most people have jobs arranged before they arrive in Ecuador?

If I turn up in January 2012 and visit a few Language schools, am I likely to find enough work to live on (legally)? I have a CELTA and 8 years teaching experience.

Would really appreciate some advice!
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would come on a 12-IX visa, which is good for 6 months, then find a job when you got here and convert to a different visa once you had an employer. Most people look for work after they arrive. Language schools in particular don't tend to recruit in advance. More often it's a case of having a class ready to open and no teacher, so the recruitment process>job start may be just a few days (or the next day, or the same day, depending how desperate they are). Being in the right place at the right time counts for a lot.

If you aren't fussy about the kinds of classes you take, or the hours (e.g. split shifts, working weekends) you should be able to find work pretty easily. Once you are settled and have your visa sorted, then you can start picking and choosing a little more.

Do be aware that visa regulations are changing frequently at the moment, and there are only a few schools that can sponsor cultural exchange visas.
viv123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that's really helpful.
labomba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get the 12-IX visa from your home country. Old posts on this forum are your best bet for information on this together with the Ecuadorian embassy/consulate in your home country. It invloves a few hoops to jump through like police report, bank statements etc. It is very advisable to get this in your home country as it makes you much more employable and it is much easier than later.

When you get to Ecuador you have to register the 12-IX visa and then get an ID card, called a censo I think?

I think you will have no problem finding something. Guayaquil has the most opportunites and will pay the best but you may prefer another place which most probably will pay a lot lower. I saw plenty of jobs in Guayaquil when I was there in a large range of places from private schools to universities.

Where are you thinking of trying?
viv123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm hoping to find something in Quito. Do you think that's likely in January 2012?
Thanks again for the advice.
just_a_mirage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately come in on the 12-IX visa. But be aware that cultural exchange visas are becoming much more difficult to get, and some applicants have been turned down recently. On the 12-IX you can work legally, but you may or may not get a cultural exchange visa. Check out EIL in Quito.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: