Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

future teacher interested in schooling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
post_post_philosophy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: future teacher interested in schooling Reply with quote

hi all.

i hope posting this here wont upset everyone. if this is completely against the rules i am sorry and mods feel free to delete it.

i am currently planning a move to europe for late spring/early summer. i would like to do some esl teaching, which i am well on my way to doing. at the same time, i would like to enroll in an english taught graduate program. my areas of interest are in the humanities (which makes the whole "english taught" part a bit more difficult), mainly in philosophy and linguistics.

i am doing a bunch of my own research so no need to flame for being lazy. just thought i might be able to catch a few "pro tips" from those who have made their rounds. thanks in advance and a sincere apology if this is totally out of line for these boards.

J
sparks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that you'll have a problem as long as you stick to the bigger cities. Warsaw Uni. and Jagiellonian in Krakow Poland, for example, offer a number of degrees in English. Warsaw you can do philosophy and Krakow an MA Tesol. if that's your jam.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read your post several times, and I can't tell what you are asking. Info about graduate programs in your area? Advice about preparing to teach EFL? Advice on finding a job? I don't think you will receive much useful advice or information unless you can be clearer about what you would like to know. In order to be helpful, we would also need to know more about you--where are you from, which countries interest you, teaching qualifications, etc.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming (from the OP's posting history) that he/she is a US citizen who is considering enrolling as a student in a European university programme and doing some teaching on the side.

Is this correct?

If so, the first big hurdle will be to find a programme and to get your study visas and etc arranged. During this process, you will also find out whether and how much you will be legally eligible to work on the side.

Do keep in mind that EU rules regarding work/live are quite stringent for non-EU member citizens - you are probably aware that you have only 90 days in the Schengen zone on a tourist visa (on which you are not eligible to work) before you must leave the entire zone for 90 days before re-entering (google Schengen zone for more info if you are not already aware of the rules). You'll need watertight study/work visas to get you launched on this venture, and that will definitely start with arranging your study.

sparks is correct about the Polish schools - they are pretty well-known and have decent reputations.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, good detective work, Spiral! And welcome, PPP (a little late, perhaps, but welcome, anyway.)
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't noticed PPP's very apt initials (well, apt in some ESL/EFL circles, anyhow) Very Happy

I recently learned that some Canadian programmes have re-dubbed good 'ol PPP:

Present
Controlled Activate
Freer Activate

Sounds much more high-brow, eh? Cool
post_post_philosophy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the kind and helpful responses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: