Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First impressions and credit where it's due

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: First impressions and credit where it's due Reply with quote

I recently arrived in Kuwait and I must say that it looks like Qatar or Saudi. The place is the usual mix of malls, nice hotels, fast food outlets, souks, compounds and migrant worker areas. The one immediately conspicuous difference is that classes are mixed.The other is that it's expensive if you've come from Asia but not so if you've come from Europe; actually, it's on a par with the latter.

I live in Al-Mangaf a satellite town, which is about 45 minutes south of Kuwait city. Previous posters have slated the place but in truth it's ok, you just have to explore. Downtown you have the Al-Khout mall, which has some really nice shops;Gant, Ralph Lauren, Zara, Athlete's Foot and a load of parfumeries and eating establishments. In particular there's a coffee bar called Tchie Tchie's, where you can watch the premiership in English live. It also does food and some pretty good hubbly-bubblies. Alongside the mall is a corniche and long, white, sandy beach, which is good for the weekends. Gymwise there are loads; the best in Platinum Gym, which has literally hundreds of machines and free weights, free martial arts classes and 3 good squash courts but the pool is small. However, if gyms and the sea are not for you and you want to swim laps, there's the Al-Sahel Swimming Club, which has 2 indoor pools and a diving arena. It costs 1 KD for 90 minutes. There's also the Al-Fahaheel sailing club for those who have the time and money. For the skinflints there are cheaper things to do like walking, gawking at the internet all day and eating in third world curry houses.

Workwise it's fine. The Kuwaitis I've met have been really friendly and seem less conservative than Qataris and Saudis. The company I work for, which has been wrongly chastised on Dave's in my opinion, has been extremely well-organised, honest and efficient. The flats are modern, very well-equipped and clean. Everything from the meet and greet to the induction went like clockwork. There was even food in the fridge for our arrival. Our paperwork is being processed very efficiently. The facilities are also good and being improved as we speak. There are plenty of supplementary materials too and the work environment is smooth. Credit where credit is due. My colleagues all seem pretty normal, which is a first in the Middle East.

I am happy to be here and happy to work for this company. I don't know why Joe Romano is so obessed with slating the outfit because it's been great.
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the name of your company?

MEB Cool
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Begins with a T and ends in an S.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:

T.G.I. Friday's? You're a member of the waitstaff?

It's all I could come up with using such a cryptic answer!
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear It's Scary,

And I could come up with only 4 or 5 posts by "Joe Romano," none of which contained complaints about a place (unless all the others got deleted Shocked)

Regards,
John
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear It's Scary,

And I could come up with only 4 or 5 posts by "Joe Romano," none of which contained complaints about a place (unless all the others got deleted Shocked)

Regards,
John

According to Wikipedia, "Joe Romano" is one of Ray Romano's sons:

"Romano married his wife, Anna, on October 11, 1987. They met while working at a bank together. Together, they have four children: one daughter Alexandra (born 1990), and three sons: twins Matthew and Gregory (born 1993) and Joseph Raymond (born February 16, 1998)."

If I were sharter, I would take the word of a three-year-older on employment conditions with a grain of salt...

It's child labor, I tells ya!
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear It's Scary,

A three-year old? Wouldn't he be 13 now?

Regards,
John
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear It's Scary,

A three-year old? Wouldn't he be 13 now?

Regards,
John

I'm an Englsih teacher, not a Maths man! Embarassed

It's because I still haven't come to terms with the current century. I only learned to count to 20! ...and, it's still child labor!
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:

Got it. Wink

MEB Cool
posh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: First impressions and credit where it's due Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
For the skinflints there are cheaper things to do like walking, gawking at the internet all day and eating in third world curry houses.

Lol.

I lived in Mangaf a few years back and liked it too. Apparently the Kuwaitis wouldn't even consider living there as it is too 'Asian'.
middeastgirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: First impressions and credit where it's due Reply with quote

posh wrote:

Apparently the Kuwaitis wouldn't even consider living there as it is too 'Asian'.

All the more reason to live in Mangaf. Smile
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: First impressions and credit where it's due Reply with quote

middeastgirl wrote:
posh wrote:

Apparently the Kuwaitis wouldn't even consider living there as it is too 'Asian'.

All the more reason to live in Mangaf. Smile

Only if Mangaf is like Manila...

Wink
posh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mangaf was full of US contractors attached to the army. The soldiers flew into Kuwait before deployment in Iraq hence a lot of chicks around to wish GI Joe a safe tour of duty. I remember a few of them - chicks not soldiers - dropping pieces of paper with their phone numbers into my supermarket trolley. There was a huge black guy in my apartment block who had an endless stream of tiny women knocking on his door.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: