Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dghjarrett

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Contract Reply with quote

HI everyone,

Just wanted to ask what the living costs are for Singapore and if a teacher can survive on around 2800$ a month?

thanks

daniel
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: living costs singapore Reply with quote

The short answer is NO! Accommodation is about that price alone not to mention food, utilities (electricity, water, phone, gas etc), transport, entertainment (?).

Don't touch it with the dirty end of a barge pole.

Caveat Emptor!

K.
elliotb2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krakatoa,

You say accommodation is two grand plus? How about sharing a room? I am finding nothing over a thousand dollars on EasyRoommate. Are you talking about a condo or house or something? I think our friend who is considering entering the country on a 2800 base is not looking for the city vista penthouse.

I would appreciate seeing your, or anyone�s, method of figuring accommodation rates in SG.

best,
elliot
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: contract Reply with quote

My latest research reveals accommodation of any real value to
be up around the S$1800 for a unit / condo and not a penthouse.

Share a room? That would have to be a personal choice for the individual
but not for me. Who would be the other person? Would they be amicable
to get along with? Do they share the same interests to make things better?
Would they argue over the use of electricity and other utilities? Do they smoke and you do not smoke? Are they drunkards in their off time? What are your personal attitude to alcoholic consumption? Who considres what is "clean" and what is not clean? There are many more questions to ask and have answered.
Tudor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean rent a room in someone's house or actually sharing a bedroom?

I would never consider the latter, but did the former for over ten years. Krakatoa asks some valid questions and I encountered many of the problems s/he mentions over the years. However, I also had some fantastic house-mates who were very considerate and who also became good friends.

There's certainly no shortage of house-shares or room-lets in Singapore and if you're not happy where you live then you move elsewhere - as long as you don't agree to a lengthy contract it's not a big deal.

Really, on a salary of S$2800 you have two choices: get your own place but spend all your money on rent and utilities or rent a room and put up with any potential annoyances and inconveniences but have some money to enjoy yourself in your time off work.

I know which I'd choose, although I must say S$2800 doesn't sound a particularly good salary for Singapore.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, let's get this sorted:

An entire HDB flat (2 bedrooms) SGD$1600-2000 per month
An entire condo (2 bedrooms) SGD2400-3600 per month.

A room in an HDB flat SGD$500
A room in a condo SGD900-1000

SGD2800 is very low. It is a 2003 salary for new entrants into the market.

You could easily live on it, but wouldn't save much or have a very extravagant life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: