Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top Cheap ESLer Food Haunts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Top Cheap ESLer Food Haunts Reply with quote

Seeing as how there�s been a lot of talk on the forum lately about how teaching English in Poland is practically 3rd world poverty Very Happy, I thought I�d share Master Shake�s Top Five Cheap ESLer Food Haunts in Warsaw:

5) MILK �BARS� � There aren�t many authentic milk bars left, but if you do find one the food is hearty, the price is low, and the apron-clad old ladies behind the counter such as heck don�t speak English. (Just grunt and point at the dishes you want; you�ll fit right in.)

4) BIEDRONKA (pre-packaged pierogi, krokiety, nalesniki (stuffed pancakes)) etc.: Don't let the fact that they�re from the Polish version of Wal-mart fool you - these are tasty.

3) OSCAR TOSTED SANDWICHES: These stalls are tucked away in the tunnels surrounding the central train station. Crispy, drenched in two sauces and loaded with fresh veggies but little meat - for when you need food on the go.

2) ORIENTAL BARS: Mostly serving Vietnamese food, these no-frills eateries are very popular in the Polish capital. Hint: You�re probably in a proper �bar� when you order food at the register, not the table. There is, ironically, rarely any alcohol served.

1) KEBAB: They�re on almost every street corner, they�re semi-healthy with all the veggies, and they�re open late. Of all Polish food, kebab is the one thing I would take back home to Colorado, USA. Some of the best kebab is sold from booths opposite metro Swiętokrzyska on Marszalkowska street. Kebab King also rocks.

Feel free to add! Let's not limit this to Warsaw.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just add the 15 zloty lunch deals, found all around the center. Decanta (I believe it's called) on Marszalkowska, there are many others which I can't think of. These are not the kotlet and fries deals. Instead, they usually come with soup, meat, veggies and some sort of carbohydrate, sometimes a bit greasy but generally pretty good if don't feel like doing the Polish home cooking.

I forgot to add for Warsaw: Szwejk. 20 zl. more food than you can eat, also a bit greasy but I like it.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap kielbasa and assorted wedlina from the local "mom and pop" butcher shop/grocerteria on every street in Poland.

For 10-12 zl you can get quite a bit of meat and add a 20grosz bread roll and a dabble of musztarda and Bob's your uncle!

You might break a tooth on the gristle and get a weeks serving of fat in one sitting, but it still fills a hole.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
I forgot to add for Warsaw: Szwejk. 20 zl. more food than you can eat, also a bit greasy but I like it.

Yes, U Szwejka is good eating. Only problem is everyone knows this. The place is always packed on the weekend.

U Szweijka's sister restaurant, Kompania Piwna, is good too. Half a roast chicken, fries and salad for 16z on Monday, and a liter of beer is only 7z.

You'll need some bread to go with all that meat, Jack. For that I recommend Piekarnia Lubaszka. Great fresh bread and pastries to be found there.
sparks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piekarnia Lubaszka, you mean Galeria Wypiekow? I think their roles have way too much baking powder-you can taste it on your tongue.
Also, the chocolate muffins...used to be good but have gone down in quality recently. Piekarnia Szwajcarska, now they have some good bread, cheaper too. Szwejk seems to have a magical time limit. I believe it's around 5:30. Get a seat before then and you're fine, go after and you could be waiting for an hour.
blaz88

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Wroclaw, there is a place that opened up on ulica Ruska, just east of the tram stop before entering the rynek. Can't remember the name but finnally a place with cheap quality lunches. Burgers that tasted of homemade for under 10 zloty, same for chicken and fish burgers. For dinner mussels were available as well, only on weekends. Nice decor as well, kind of modern bistro. Beer was not good though. Some of the best beer in Wroclaw was in a little pub off the square near the Art hotel. Pub was called artzat i think. Cute bartender named Kasia with great English.
maniak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLT & Flatbreads. Ruska 49 I think. The only place for decent cheap burgers in wro. Edible, hardly something to write home about but not bad, thats coming from a burger expert though.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone a fan of the veggie place Greenway? I've been eating there more and more to balance out all the kebab and pizza. They have a mean makaron zapiekanka and I like the nalesniki na ostro with green olives.

Speaking of pizza, Dominium is quite good (nothing amazing, but there is no amazing pizza in Poland, IMO). They have two-for-one pizzas on Monday and Tuesday.
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to live in Lodz, I would go to a pizza place called Quo Vadis. They have one of those brick ovens with the fire inside and made good thin crust pizzas. I think that the one's there easily competed with anything I ever had in America. Toward the end of my time in that city, the dough started losing some of its crispiness, however. I guess they were cooking them too fast or using too much margerine. I sort like pizza politeknika in Warsaw on Noakowskiego.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Master Shake"]

Speaking of pizza, Dominium is quite good

Dominium makes the best pizza I've eaten in Poland. Unfortunately, the one in Gdynia is closed, otherwise it would have been worth a trip on SKM.

In Gdansk I recommend Jadalnia Pod Zielonym Smokiem. Good Polish food at very cheap prices.
sharter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Cheap haunts in Poznan Reply with quote

Tylko unas on Wroclawska is cheap for kotlet etc and there's a place in Rynek Jezicka that's been there years that's got good, cheap golonka etc. There are few cheap places anywhere near the rynek.

Street food, which seems to mainly consist of shockingly bad kebabs is only good when fissed as a part.
volgaman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
When I used to live in Lodz, I would go to a pizza place called Quo Vadis. They have one of those brick ovens with the fire inside and made good thin crust pizzas. I think that the one's there easily competed with anything I ever had in America. Toward the end of my time in that city, the dough started losing some of its crispiness, however. I guess they were cooking them too fast or using too much margerine. I sort like pizza politeknika in Warsaw on Noakowskiego.

Quo Vardis?? That's still there?? Awesome pizza drenched in ketchup a la polski (wtf!). Loved going there in the cold winter of 1998/99.

Happy days Smile
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new favorite kebab place is Leziz on Emili Plater, just north of Zloty Terasy.

This is a restaurant with damn good kebabs and beer for 6z a pint - quite cheap for Warsaw.

Check it out.
dynow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Od Nova isn't a bad joint if you're looking for something different, a bit more eclectic, that sort of thing. also, you got Mleczarnia right next to it if you want to hit up a good bar afterwards.

I also recommend Akademus for good beer, right next to the Art Hotel. they only sell top end stuff, drafts start at around 8-9.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maniak wrote:
BLT & Flatbreads. Ruska 49 I think. The only place for decent cheap burgers in wro. Edible, hardly something to write home about but not bad, thats coming from a burger expert though.

I second this. The pizza is the best value at BLT. Nothing amazing, but it kept me coming back.

Karczma Lwowska (also in Wroclaw) serves tasty, hearty Polish food and has decent Ukrainian beer. But it's a bit expensive considering the main dishes on the menu don't come with sides.

I was impressed with the availability of Czech beer in Wroclaw. Czech beer is much better than Poilsh beer, IMO. It is also hard to come by here in Warsaw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: