Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching hours in Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterBar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things change, and have changed over the last few years.

The EU is tightening the rules all the time. With the European financial situation there are fewer and fewer countries that will accept a non EU citizen for employment.

In some of the "newer" member countries it might be possible to find illegal/black employment as a non EU citizen - but you are at the mercy of your employers.
Do you really want to work for an organisation that will happily break the law and give you a job?
Where does that leave you when you have a problem with the employer?
What happens when your Schengen visa runs out after 3 months? - it's bye bye and don't try to claim your last month's salary.

How do you feel about illegal immigrants working in the US?
Because that will be your status in Europe unless you come on a work visa (v difficult) or as a student (which will allow you to work legally for up to 20 hours per week).

The time when N. Americans could wander Europe picking up a bit of teaching in order to live and eat are almost over.
sparks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that it is possible to find "illegal/black employment" in the "newer" EU states, rather it is possible to do this in the old ones. It is still quite possible to find LEGAL work in the new states, whether this be through self-employment or through work visas arranged by schools.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very well, but the OP is British, so most of the warnings about illegal working in Europe don't apply.

I'm going to sound pernickety here, but I hope the OP's job applications are better checked for punctuation errors etc than the posts made here. Yes, I know it's an internet forum, but it doesn't give a great impression, nevertheless. I wouldn't care if the OP had a CELTA, DELTA or MA: if there were these sorts of errors (anywhere), the application would go in the bin.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Teacher, I was just going to post to call you a curmudgeon Smile but looking over the old posts, I have to agree. There are definitely some strange errors which almost make it seem non-native or else from a 14-year-old.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! I wanted to mention the same thing, but being as I tend to be a bit too picky and pedantic by nature, was afraid to go out on a limb.

The posts do look like something someone might text, but it is a bit strange for typing, and from a language teacher.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought I was going to get a whole pile of criticism for my comments (and might still) but then I thought I'd go ahead anyway. I'm old enough to qualify for "curmudgeon" (especially if used with "-ly old git") but more importantly, also old - and experienced enough - to have had hiring authority.

But what really irks me is that as teachers, we're supposed to know the difference between spoken and written English (see this example from the OP)

Quote:
yes im from the UK,its similar to Asia then.

... so we can help our students with it.

I don't normally comment on people's English in these forums, but it seemed to me that the errors here were systemic, rather than one-offs.

Still, I don't want to offend the OP. I'm aware that I probably come across as pedantic and pompous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: