Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

working with ipetq now

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellymarcus2001

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: working with ipetq now Reply with quote

I have been reading the forum concerning the issue of ipetq. Wonder any member can help to provide the current information as to working with them now. Both side comments have been heard over the forum on the conditions of "work". Interesting to know that if I do land a job with them as a contract trainer for the process operator for oil, what will my reaction to take up the job? Hence I do appreciate any input on the positive as well as the negative that will help me.
Col. Saoud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: IPETQ KUWAIT Reply with quote

Dear all

Dont take a job with IPETQ KUWAIT. They get you to sign a contract when you arrive in Kuwait. The contract states that they can sack you if the military or the client does not like you. This involves a quick interview with the General Manager, here today and gone tomorow. Their reputation as an employer is probably the worst in the TEFL world Twisted Evil for sacking people and they have successfully been taken to court in Kuwait for this and found guilty of illegally dismissing an employee. Four of my friends who worked there earlier this year were treated as described above. Not recommended is the message here.
kellymarcus2001

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info .Look like it is a very high handed employer.Working under such conditions will be extremely demanding and slight compliant from the clients will certainly send the teacher out from the gate.
Col. Saoud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to Adam The IPETQ Building Contractor Reply with quote

Earlier this year,from only one of the 5 sites which my friend was working on,8 people were fired in the period of 7 months.Approximately20 teachers worked at the site at a time.Of those fired,the director of studies,the Audio Visual Officer and the deputy head of studies were among the casualties.In the last 2 weeks of the contract,the remaining 12 teachers were told that they were no longer needed and that their residency would be cancelled forthwith. Hardly good people practice. At the same time, if these 8 teachers could not perform their duties adequately,and likewise if the remaining 12 were no longer wanted either,it doesn't say much about their recruitment standards.Out of 24 employees,a rough estimate of 4 returned to employment with IPETQ after the summer recess.
Concerning the court case,to the best of my knowledge,the case was initiated 3 years ago but only settled last year.
The other point is that the information contained here refers to the period from late Autumn 2003 to June 2004.The 4 mentioned in my previous reply were directly known to me as opposed to the others who were acquaintances.
The message is still the same-If you want to be bossed around by the military and civilian management simultaneously with the constant threat of the axe hanging over your head,not based on your performance in the classroom but rather the prejudices of the client, then join IPETQ and build your house. Don't you think it's just a bit peculiar that so many of the IPETQ staff who were working on my friend's site, decided to forego the risk of building a house as the threat of instant dismissal with one months salary as this, I doubt ,would not even pay for the foundation stone of a house in Thailand. Situation no change at IPETQ Kuwait. If you really want to take a job there, ask to have you contract sent to you in writing before you depart for Kuwait and don't wait until after you have arrived to review it. Look carefully at the clauses contained therein. If it states that you can be instantly dismissed at the request of the client, my advice is don't sign it- look for work elsewhere. This is the truth. I have no reason to tell it otherwise. IPETQ, in their public apology, state that the management have changed and admit that they unfairly sacked this person. The deckhands of the ship may have changed but they are still flying the Jolly Rodger and sailing under the same old Captain Bligh.
Fortunately,now,I am working in a job in a Kuwaiti company with a solid 2 year contract without the threat of instant dismissal and I can only say that my own building work is right on schedule.
kellymarcus2001

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen , thanks for some good information. Tell you where I am coming from . I just departed from a manufacturing company in Jakarta. It was a very high staff turnover company that I have ever work with in my life. 4 Human resoure managers , 2 Quality control chemists , 2 sernior sale managers and a dozen receptionists leave or sack during my one year stay with this company. I am "new " to Kuwait employment atmosphere and definitely do not want to see myself " jumping quickly fron a frying pan into a fire " hence there is a caution of my approaching towards IPETQ when looking at the jobs there. Bottom line it is still a very high staff turnover company which angle you look at it and MD apologising did not mean a thing unless the culture has changed. Having to sign the contract on arrival doesnot give the candidate much of a choice. And if you sign on the biase contract conditions only make it more difficult for you to fight in court if you are sacked .
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellymarcus,

What we have here is a situation that is rather typical of these independent language schools. There will always be a certain amount of risk in taking a job with them. Most survive by contract teaching with various government groups (military, oil company workers). Often they have to be hiring the people as they are negotiating because of the time lag of getting teachers in country. There have been times teachers have arrived to no job. The school's contract can be cancelled, and in turn, they may cancel yours. It happens. New management can arrive along with you and what had been a good job can go downhill quickly. Although there are labor laws, employers can terminate you easily and few of us can wait around for 3 years for it to crawl through the legal system.

As to our two completely varying takes on ITEPQ above, you have to weigh them out and decide which side of the story may be the most accurate. ITEPQ has had its ups and downs through the years based on what has been written here. Many people have written of their bad experiences and I have known people who spent a perfectly fine couple of years there. It's a crapshoot.

It seems that the only way to weigh the odds in your favor is to have an MA and be able to teach in the national university structures in the Middle East. Language Schools are the ones that seem to provide most of bad experiences in these countries. But, if you have limited credentials, and you need the money, at least you are aware of the risks and the rewards.

VS
rabbit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Any Thai teachers in Kuwait reading this? Reply with quote

I'm considering the post ITPEQ is offering to Thai teachers. It's good to hear the range of opinions, it would be fantatastic to hear from one of the Thai teachers who are there about the living conditions and what the classroom behavior is like compared to the compulsive talking thai students.
Rabbit
Rice Paddy Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck!
Robert3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Kelly marcus Reply with quote

Correct me if I wrong. I MIGHT BE missing something here. Do you Kelly Marcus work for IPETQ as an English Teacher? Perhaps I have the wrong Kelly?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did notice that this person posted this in 2004... and it was the last post made under this screen name.

VS
Robert3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: veiledsentiments Reply with quote

Yes I dis, that's not the point. I will explain that the person in question is suspect - as the Kelly I refer to was already an employee of IPETQ , therefore, asking for and getting feedback for her employer after the IPETQ problems mentioned previously. Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: