Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Anyone Had a positive experience w/TQLS-JO?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovehappens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Has Anyone Had a positive experience w/TQLS-JO? Reply with quote

I'm having a phone interview tonight with these people and am concerned as Everything I read on here about this Kuwait co has been negative. Is there anyone out there who has not spoken up who has had a positive experience?

I really need a well paying job and have not worked in the Middle East as a teacher yet. I feel this may be a foot in the door in the M.E.

I have worked in the Middle East in another capacity so am very familiar with the culture climate etc. but don't have the ME on my resume as a teacher.

If I can survive at this job, get my paycheck and find a decent expat community I may take it----my choices feel limited.

Please email me or write on here if you have RECENTLY worked there. If it has been 10 years ago that you were there please don't send me negativity from back then. Thanks
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

their 'glory days' were closer to 2000
and they lost all but one of their crown jewel contracts
there aren't that many teachers there now as 'back in the day'
Rommel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Had a positive experience w/TQLS-JO? Reply with quote

lovehappens wrote:
I'm having a phone interview tonight with these people and am concerned as Everything I read on here about this Kuwait co has been negative. Is there anyone out there who has not spoken up who has had a positive experience?

First off, TQLS is not a Kuwaiti company. They're based in the UK.

Most of their contracts have dried up, from what I understand. If you do take a job with them, I can't imagine it being a long term contract.
I worked for them in '03 and they had a a lot of different contracts working back then. Nowadays, I've only heard of short term stuff.
But as far as honoring your contract with the salary and housing they offer, they're legit. The contract may dry up, but they'll pay you, house you, and transport you while you're here.
middleastman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:49 pm    Post subject: haha Reply with quote

A person

Last edited by middleastman on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend and I worked for another contractor alongside TQ staff about 10 years ago - they were paid on time but most were very unhappy.

About three years ago, she wanted to return to Kuwait and accepted a post with them. She started a contract and, after three months, arrived at work to find a DOS from another company installed.

Later that day, TQ management arrived to tell them that they had lost the contract. The staff were out of the country by the end of the week.
Starfell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may be based in the UK, but here, they are a "Kuwaiti'' company and play by Kuwaiti rules.
nodster

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont' know why TQLS get such a bad press. They are what they are - which is a company who bid for short term contracts and when they get them hire the staff for the work. When the contract finishes or doesn't get renewed - the staff are back on the street. It's in your contract - one months notice. That's just how it works. But as in intro into the Gulf to put 'Middle East' experience on your resume - there's nothing wrong with them.

My own experience was that I worked for them for about 18 months. They paid on time and in full, and the accommodation was pretty good. The quality of the work depended on which contract you were on. I taught one 4 months vocational English course that was as much fun as I've ever had in a classroom. Some other classes I taught were not fun at all. other than that I found the management approach a bit backward - but nothing that couldn't be put up with.

I really can't understand where all the grizzling about them comes from.
JoeRomano

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: TQLS fires people at a drop of a hat Reply with quote

Most of it because of almost weekly firings/layoffs. It affects your morale greatly. How can you work with them if you see people getting fired all the time and disappearing? How can you plan anything? Also, now you need all sorts of documents to get hired into Kuwait- clearances and all that. It is an expensive process that they will not reimburse you for. And then, bang! you are fired! At will.
Yes, you need a well paying job but you will miss it if you go and work for them. You will lose time, money and will constantly be in the line of fire and then, you will just get fired.
They LOVE firing people, the sadists that they are. That is why they always have jobs. How can they fire you if they do not hire you first?
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, lovehappens, did you take the job? If so, how's it going?

MEB Cool
gharwell1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: TQLS and KNPC Reply with quote

I worked for TQLS on a project for Kuwaiti Oil Training Center. KNPC decided they wanted to fire [b]ALL the American Teachers[/b].
They call you in at 2pm and tell you that your are leaving 'tonight'.....
I would stay away from KNPC contracts.

"They don't want you, you're fired and you are leaving tonight."
I would have liked a couple of days.

The problem is not with TQLS. It's KNPC that is the problem.
We want Communicative English::::
Use Headway Beginners Book:::::
and
The final exam is Grammar based Multiple Choice

The only sense of what is going fro, the Sr. Teacher from KNPC is that she wears pin stipped suits, has thin lips that never smile and scraggly hair. She never exhibited anyknowledge of teaching.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear gharwell1,

" . . . the Sr. Teacher from KNPC is that she wears pin stipped suits, has thin lips that never smile and scraggly hair."

Hairy lips, eh? That's never a good sign, especially in a female. Very Happy

Regards,
John
gharwell1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you know her
gharwell1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you know her
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: TQLS Reply with quote

TQLS have been excellent so far.....a lot of the bad stuff here is balls. Accommodation is fine, the students are great, the DOS is excellent, the induction and meet and greetwas good, the admin has been fine and it's a good programme. Nuff said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: