Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who can individually (PM) help me for the next few months?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne1523

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Who can individually (PM) help me for the next few months? Reply with quote

Is there anybody who's experienced about Taiwan on here who would be willing to consistently PM with me for the next 3 months regarding finding work in Taiwan? I've made it known that I have every intention to try to look for a job in Taiwan come January, but it really is an overwhelming prospect right now given that I'm really busy these days completing my CELTA which goes until mid-December and is really starting to pile on me along with having a job on the side. Sometimes, in the midst of all of it, it seems somewhat unfathomable that I can make it over there for that intended time when I'm digging through the endlessness of information here at Dave's, Tealit, Forumosa, and ESL Dewey. Because there's so many different kinds of answers (many of them without closure), I don't even know what kind of information to rely on anymore.

It would be alot better and it'd be so appreciated if somebody has the time to really take me through the general steps and answer my questions more thoroughly. I know everyone else has really busy lives so I don't have the highest of expectations, but if I can find somebody (or more) who can relatively be of good reliance about the basic things needed of just getting the foot in the door in Taiwan, that'd be terrific.

And are there any Canadians that have made it there? I know Dr. Zoidberg is one of them, but he's a busy man to answer rather extensively. I would like to get in touch with a Canadian particularly for the visa process. And I would like to PM anybody else, Canadian or not, about the job hunting process.

Thanks and please let me know.
creztor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a job online and contact your local TECO for any questions you have regarding your visa. Is it really that hard?
yamahuh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Canadian and have been through the visa process many times - what specifically do you want to know?
JMLaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of dealing with recruiting agencies (reachtoteach, footprints etc). They are very helpful with answering questions that you need. If you use them to find you a job they can assist with everything related to visas, accommodation, location etc.

I know what you mean about the abundance of information on different forums. Unlike you though, I have plenty of time at the moment to search and find.

Sometimes it is good to just take a day off, and focus on what you need answered. De-stress and try not to worry too much, you need to have a clear head before you jump ship! Cool
yamahuh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware that the first priority of recruiters - no matter how helpful they may be - is to get you over here and signed on with them. That is how they make their money.

They have a vested interest in helping you out and winning you over. Once you are actually on the ground in Taiwan that helpfulness may or may not be forthcoming - stories of recruiters promising ideal locations / schools / wages / etc which magically disappear when the teacher shows up are not hard to find.

My recommendation (for what its' worth) would be to use them as a last resort if you are really concerned that you won't be able to find a position by yourself. The visa process isn't complicated - there's lots of info on this forum and here - http://www.roc-taiwan.org/ca/yyz/lp.asp?CtNode=340&CtUnit=62&BaseDSD=7&mp=82

Do some research, get your ducks in a row and don't stress about it.

Good luck.
wayne1523

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey creztor, if this thread pisses you off, then don't freakin' say anything. That also is not that hard either.

Thanks guys. Would the recruiters give you info on your questions on everything even if you haven't applied anything through them, or aren't using them?

Yeah after my teaching practice tomorrow for my CELTA class, I'm going to try to dedicate this week more for researching Taiwan. But its just been really busy.
creztor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't piss me off at all. I asked a very simple question. If you can't find the information yourself, then how will you fare when you are in the country you want to go to? There are no secrets or hidden gems. Government agencies like TECO are there to help you. Got a visa question? Email them or call. Want to find a job? Plenty listed here and on other sites. It seems you were the one who was pissed off by my reply, not the other way around.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne1523 wrote:

Thanks guys. Would the recruiters give you info on your questions on everything even if you haven't applied anything through them, or aren't using them?

Seek and ye shall find - or put another way - ask the question and see what happens... Wink
Dr_Zoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Who can individually (PM) help me for the next few month Reply with quote

wayne1523 wrote:
I'm digging through the endlessness of information here at Dave's, Tealit, Forumosa, and ESL Dewey. Because there's so many different kinds of answers (many of them without closure), I don't even know what kind of information to rely on anymore.

That's probably because everyone's Taiwan experience is different.

wayne1523 wrote:
And are there any Canadians that have made it there? I know Dr. Zoidberg is one of them, but he's a busy man to answer rather extensively.

You have my email address, so do email me with your questions. I may take a day or two to answer. As for the extent of my answers, that's about as extensive as one can get. This is especially true when dealing with government officials. Taiwanese laws and regulations are rife with vagaries - ask five different officials and you will get five different answers.

wayne1523 wrote:
I would like to get in touch with a Canadian particularly for the visa process.

There's not much to it. Fill out the application, give TECO your money and passport. Ensure you have proof of an onward flight and the funds to support yourself for 60 days in case they ask for it and give them no more information than what they ask for.
JMLaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne1523 wrote:

Send out an email or two and see who replies. Be proactive! One email can be sent to many agencies, giving you a better chance of response.

Like Zoidberg said, alot of information on forums are mostly the experience of that individual person, rather than a holistic view of the industry.

I am looking forward to arriving mid-January so I can make my own experiences, rather than trolling these forums wondering what to believe and what not to believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: