Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Elementary in Latin America?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321
Quote:

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: do your research.

Then don't. If you're not an expert, just listen to the advice. Most of us have been doing this for years, decades. We know what we're talking about.

Well, actually. . . no. Don't just listen. Ask questions, just exactly like you are doing. And as for doing your research--did I miss something? I thought that's what you were doing. Isn't that why you're posting questions here? So that all of us Great Big Experts can give advice?

Expert Spiral is right, though. All this tax info is taking you way off course and is just muddying the waters. Doing "more research" on taxes right now is not good advice. You have too many other things to sort out.

Another expert has spoken!

Best regards,
Big Expert GoodStory

Wink
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with everything in the govt, things aren't that cut in dry. The $91,500 is the limit for one employer, if you work elsewhere, you're self employed or a consultant, and have to pay 15.3%, but I think it's gone down to 13.3% this year.

and it doesn't include stuff like
rent
self employment
interest
stocks
bonds
etc

Also to file the 2555 or 2555 ez, you have to already be paying taxes. (With the exception of having the 8802).

So if I teach private lessons and make 50K a year and DON?T file the 8802 and DON?T pay taxes in ABC country, then I still have to file Sch C and Sch SE and pay the US, even though that's under the 91K limit.

Now if I teach at a school and make 50K and another 40K doing privates, then, legally, I have to pay either the IRS taxes on the 40K or taxes to ABC country and can get out of double taxation through the 1116. (even though it's only 90K, which is below the limit)

Make sense? Probably not. They change the laws all the time. They don't even know what's going on. If you're really worried and have difficulties, I'd recommend an accountant. There are some out there who don't charge an arm and a leg., I'll be using one this year because of all the tax issues I have.
Irish Lad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
naturegirl321
Quote:

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: do your research.

Then don't. If you're not an expert, just listen to the advice. Most of us have been doing this for years, decades. We know what we're talking about.

Well, actually. . . no. Don't just listen. Ask questions, just exactly like you are doing. And as for doing your research--did I miss something? I thought that's what you were doing. Isn't that why you're posting questions here? So that all of us Great Big Experts can give advice?

Expert Spiral is right, though. All this tax info is taking you way off course and is just muddying the waters. Doing "more research" on taxes right now is not good advice. You have too many other things to sort out.

Another expert has spoken!

Best regards,
Big Expert GoodStory

Wink

Have to agree with Expert GoodStory on this one. I've seen a lot of newbies come and go in the years that I've been reading the advice of the Honorable Experts on this forum, and very few of them have shown the tenacious willingness to do the research that you have, Landon. Don't be put off by a Snarling Expert or two. Keep up the good work! Make them work for their high post counts!

Another know-it-all expert has spoken!

Expert IrishLad
Irish Lad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
As with everything in the govt, things aren't that cut in dry. The $91,500 is the limit for one employer, if you work elsewhere, you're self employed or a consultant, and have to pay 15.3%, but I think it's gone down to 13.3% this year.

and it doesn't include stuff like
rent
self employment
interest
stocks
bonds
etc

Also to file the 2555 or 2555 ez, you have to already be paying taxes. (With the exception of having the 8802).

So if I teach private lessons and make 50K a year and DON?T file the 8802 and DON?T pay taxes in ABC country, then I still have to file Sch C and Sch SE and pay the US, even though that's under the 91K limit.

Now if I teach at a school and make 50K and another 40K doing privates, then, legally, I have to pay either the IRS taxes on the 40K or taxes to ABC country and can get out of double taxation through the 1116. (even though it's only 90K, which is below the limit)

Make sense? Probably not. They change the laws all the time. They don't even know what's going on. If you're really worried and have difficulties, I'd recommend an accountant. There are some out there who don't charge an arm and a leg., I'll be using one this year because of all the tax issues I have.

Big Expert naturegirl321. . . take a nap. You'll feel better. Poor Landon doesn't need any more tax advice just now. Just relax. . . and. . . go. . .to. . .sleep. There, now.

Ssshh, everyone! Let Big Expert naturegirl321 sleep for a while. Zzzzz. . zzzz...zzz. . .
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish Lad, where you have been? You seem to show at odd times. Are you in LA yet or still in Ireland? Do you file US taxes?

If Landon had done his research, he-d know about the IRS stuff. , for tax stuff, he should go to www.irs.gov
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irish Lad obviously had this board confused with others he may visit.

This board, Dave's, doesn't appreciate, want, need or permit personally insulting or demeaning comments.

The result is he is no longer with us.
Landon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all the experts for the tax advice. I feel like I should be writing a check right now. Very Happy

A lot has been cleared up through PMs by several members and I can accept SOME of it. I still believe that the way the tax system is set up in some countries is giving the false sense of an inflated NET salary, where they are still getting plenty from you just not all in the form of INCOME tax on a government form.

For the time being, I have concluded that maybe these things should just be looked at and grouped in terms of cost of living. And cost of living, including all forms of taxation, versus salary is where you can see what you really stand to gain in that location versus another. NET salary in one place versus NET salary somewhere else cannot be compared effectively.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are quite right Landon. If you can face wading back to the murky depths of this thread I suggested there are 2 pieces of information you need, net income and how that equates locally to buying/saving power.

Knowing that you earn $3000 a month doesn't help much if you don't know whether you are taking home $2000 or $2999. Equally, knowing you are taking home $2000 doesn't help much if you don't know whether your living costs will be $1,000 or $2,000 a month.

But if you have a rough idea of both you can start to compare salaries across countries. Once you have settled on a country and a job there is time enough to work out the finer details of exactly what has to be paid to who.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is remarkable that any citizens of a free country would submit to taxation by their government on income earned and spent abroad. Especially as one may also be taxed in the host country, and will be certainly paying tax every time a purchase is made. Wasn't there some kerfuffle in North America in the past about taxation and representation? How is this aggressive and invasive taxation policy justified? Just curious, as I have not paid any taxes worth talking about, nor submitted any tax documents in about fifteen years. As I have not been able to avail of any benefits from home either, nobody in the tax office is complaining...
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
I think it is remarkable that any citizens of a free country would submit to taxation by their government on income earned and spent abroad. Especially as one may also be taxed in the host country, and will be certainly paying tax every time a purchase is made. Wasn't there some kerfuffle in North America in the past about taxation and representation? How is this aggressive and invasive taxation policy justified? Just curious, as I have not paid any taxes worth talking about, nor submitted any tax documents in about fifteen years. As I have not been able to avail of any benefits from home either, nobody in the tax office is complaining...

Just because it's free doesn't mean you don't have to accept the consequences if you don't follow the laws. You're free to go into a crowded theatre and shout fire, but by the same token, you'll have to accept consequences.

You don't have to file taxes and if you're caught, you'll also have to accept the consequences. As most people have pointed out: with a $91,500 limit, few TEFL teachers PAY US taxes;filing is a different matter.

If you're caught, you'd have to pay if you owe anything.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what the Schenck case has to do with this. The point is not that one shouldn't follow the law, but more why anybody would accept that law and not try to change it. How can any state justify taxing salaries outside its jurisdiction?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Not sure what the Schenck case has to do with this. The point is not that one shouldn't follow the law, but more why anybody would accept that law and not try to change it. How can any state justify taxing salaries outside its jurisdiction?

Guess people have but it's hard to fight the govt. Plus, you've got to take into account that there are plenty of Americans who live abroad taht DON'T file taxes because they don't think they have to. Maybe if more of them knew, more woudl complain?

I completely agree with you though. Any ideas what to do? Giving up US cit to get out of taxes is illegal . . .
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving up citizenship to avoid taxes illegal? So, you are forced to pay for a citizenship you may not want?

I say OCCUPY WALL ST!!!
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
To the OP you could get hired at a second or third tier bilingual private K-12 school in Mexico as you are. What I don't know is if that experience will help you move into a top tier bilingual or all English private school.

@littlelauren86:

OP, I see you haven't returned since this thread was derailed--"Teaching Elementary in Latin America" hasn't been the topic for some time now. Did you have other questions or concerns you wanted to bring up? You can still ask here, or, (what might make more sense) edit the title of this thread to something like "Taxes for Americans," and start a brand new thread with your questions.

One way or the other, perhaps you would bring us up to date on your progress?

AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:

I say OCCUPY WALL ST!!!

I say, "Occupy Congress!"

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: