Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Novels About English Teachers Abroad and TEFL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Novels About English Teachers Abroad and TEFL Reply with quote

Here's an Amazon listmania list of novels about English Teachers Abroad and TEFL --

http://www.amazon.com/lm/R2WGEY32WTYRCP/ref=cm_lm_pthnk_view?ie=UTF8&lm_bb=

Those of us who were around in the 90's obviously remember GIRLS, GUNS, AND GANJA, an "expose" of teachers in Cambodia at that time; but there were a couple of entries I wasn't familiar with and was interested to learn about -- I particularly enjoyed 12 STORIES OF RUSSIA: A NOVEL, by AJ Perry, who even the internet doesn't seem to know anything about.

The list seems a bit slanted toward the decadent; apart from a couple of martial artists who went to Asia to teach, the books are mostly about disreputable alcoholic types.

Then again, I suppose it wouldn't be very interesting to read about people who quietly go to class and then go home and watch TV. . .

Anybody know of any other good novels about English teachers and TEFL?
lucia79

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

National Geographic's Locked Up Abroad series has a few episodes on people who went abroad to teach English and ended up getting involved in trafficking drugs. I remember a real horrible one about a guy in Southeast Asia who was caught for attempting to smuggle heroin. He ended up in prison, started doing the drug himself, and contracted AIDS. His mother was able to get him released by petitioning etc. He returned to Australia to live out his life. Another one I remember is of a man who taught in S. Korea and was arrested for smuggling drugs through the postal service.

They are on youtube, I believe.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucia79 wrote:
National Geographic's Locked Up Abroad series has a few episodes on people who went abroad to teach English and ended up getting involved in trafficking drugs. I remember a real horrible one about a guy in Southeast Asia who was caught for attempting to smuggle heroin. He ended up in prison, started doing the drug himself, and contracted AIDS. His mother was able to get him released by petitioning etc. He returned to Australia to live out his life. Another one I remember is of a man who taught in S. Korea and was arrested for smuggling drugs through the postal service.

They are on youtube, I believe.

Ah, Lucia, neither of these meets my criteria for a good story. And I'm the expert! Wink

Regards,
AGoodStory
lucia79

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
Ah, Lucia, neither of these meets my criteria for a good story. And I'm the expert! Wink

Regards,
AGoodStory

You're right! Very Happy

TEFLers gone wrong.....aren't good stories.
BenE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always English Teacher X there to give you a few laughs.
I've been looking around myself for a few books about TEFL.

I think it's true that people who've had disaster times always sell more.
Ignatius Reilly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: EFL novels Reply with quote

There is Anthony Burgess' wonderful 'Malayan Trilogy' of novels from the 1950s. The first of which 'Time for a Tiger' (a reference to the beer rather than the animal) is a highly amusing semi-autobiographical account of the great man's inglorious time as an EFL teacher in that part of the world. Well worth a read.
Perilla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: EFL novels Reply with quote

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
There is Anthony Burgess' wonderful 'Malayan Trilogy' of novels from the 1950s. The first of which 'Time for a Tiger' (a reference to the beer rather than the animal) is a highly amusing semi-autobiographical account of the great man's inglorious time as an EFL teacher in that part of the world. Well worth a read.

Another legendary English novelist, John Fowles, worked as an English teacher on the Greek island of Spetsai early in his career. His bizarre novel, The Magus, is partially set on the island and also involves a young English teacher, but there the similarity to the world of TEFL as we know it ends. A great read though, so long as you're not an "airport lounge" addict.

However, he did write an article about the background to The Magus, which includes a fair bit of detail about his school, workload and students. A different time, different place, different students ...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0403/is_n1_v42/ai_18412888/?tag=content;col1
chutes41

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Hessler's book River Town is a fantastic book about a peace corp guy teaching english in China in the 90s. Really one of my all time favorite books and highly recommended for everyone[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: