Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ED-EX housing/transp allowances
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salahuddin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: ED-EX housing/transp allowances Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I am pursuing a job in the Gulf, and just received what seems to be, based on the posts here (and the generally horrendous state of the global economy), an aggressive offer from Ed-Ex.

Basically, it's 30,000/SR/month, the usual package inclusions. Incidentally, I've a PhD, MA, BA (Education x 2, English Lit), about 4 years ESL/ESP experience including time in Cairo, and 6 years teaching undergrads/grads in the humanities, and before I launch into combat for a tenure-track gig stateside, I want to work overseas, and make some decent coin.

While I have gotten some background on Ed-Ex via posts here, my specific query concerns how they handle housing/transportation allowances.

As noted in Ed-EX contract "boilerplate," in English, allowances are paid out of the monthly salary, but in Arabic, it reads that 25% of salary, or a max 3000/SR/month for housing (1000/SR/month transportation), are provided by Ed-Ex (I speak Arabic, but am not Arab).

Can anyone clarify their procedure on allowances? I've emailed them with no response yet, but would like to see what others may know.

Best,

Reggie
Mysterious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask what university/college this position is for?

I say this because it's important that you are informed from people on here as to what conditions you will be living in and how consistent (or inconsistent) the company is.

Having a family member out in Saudi at the moment and at a university where there are some EdEx teachers (though my husband is not with this agent)... they've been treated awful. Some are there without iqamas and have been for over a year and are not allowed to bring their families into the country. So make sure you do your research properly (especially if you DO have family that have to join you), as this is something that isn't really covered properly in the contract.
salahuddin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Riyadh Reply with quote

Hi Mysterious,

The contract indicates I would be working at universities in Riyadh (hardly specific), and that I could deploy on relatively short notice to any of these.

I am traveling there alone, and am Muslim, so most of the hindrances I have read about aren't an issue, in my case (I previously made hajj in '09).

In any case, as indicated in original post, I am mostly curious to know more about how Ed-Ex handles allowances, and not so much the iqama issue(s), but any information (i.e., how does salary measure up?) is welcome.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Best,

Reggie
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that with your credentials, you should be able to avoid these shady, unpredictable, unscrupulous recruiters.

Why not apply directly to universities around the Gulf?

VS
Middle East Beast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAR 30000 per month??? Shocked Are you sure?

That's $8000! That's a lotta nuts!

That's like more than twice the "normal" range offered in most ads now.

MEB Cool
Deeman15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense since he has a ph.d. He shouldn't even be working for a contractor to be honest, direct hire would be much better.

At least try Aramco, you would probably easily get hired by them.
Mysterious

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only just noticed the pay now. That sounds weird, to be honest. I've heard stories of people who have got yeeears of experience with a BA and an MA, and still don't get that much. But maybe a PHD would up that a lot. I didn't realise it would up it to that figure though..

Maybe he has tried direct hire but hasn't heard anything? That's why he's taken to an agent? I only say this because there aren't many places that do direct hire, anyway.. and getting back to you is like trying to get a ticket to Mars, in most cases.

Still, at least you'll be living alone. That is a great wage (if it's true) to get you through, easily (even if you had like.. 6 family members with you). I'd wait to see what their "final" contact says though. That normally is reduced.. just before you have to sign. Rolling Eyes
c_dange

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the contract doesn't say 13,000 SAR/month? Which would make the 25% or 3,000 max more reasonable.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More and more on this board it seems that English is a "still being acquired' kind of thing.

I'm not being critical of posters. I'm saying that many don't have a firm grasp of the language that they purport to teach!

It'd be laughable if it weren't an ESL/EFL board!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dange wrote:
Are you sure the contract doesn't say 13,000 SAR/month? Which would make the 25% or 3,000 max more reasonable.

That 3,000 SAR is probably Ed Ex's cap, the maximum amount they'll provide for monthly housing regardless of salary size. Anyway, the OP didn't mention if the housing allowance is being offered in lieu of employer-provided housing. But I agree with Mysterious that the final contract might reflect a lower salary. That's even more reason to skip the recruiters and apply as a direct hire.
c_dange

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure who you're referring to here, It's Scary. But depending on one's generational affiliation, most users will expect to find casual or modified versions of the English language in an online forum.

Unless, of course, said forum is being unofficially monitored by overly pedantic ESL teachers.
Deeman15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Scary! wrote:
More and more on this board it seems that English is a "still being acquired' kind of thing.

I'm not being critical of posters. I'm saying that many don't have a firm grasp of the language that they purport to teach!

It'd be laughable if it weren't an ESL/EFL board!

You sound like my grandfather. This is the internet dude, many people don't care about correct grammar and spelling. To evaluate somebody's grasp of a language based on short little posts they make on a forum is silly. We are not students submitting reports to be evaluated. The younger generation is easily capable of switching back and forth between 'Internet slang' and formal language. In addition many people may be posting on smart phones and tablet devices that are too cumbersome because of the virtual keyboards. So don't confuse laziness/convenience with an inadequate grasp of the language.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless, Deeman15, you feel that I have selected you personally, your words speak volumes.

It's O.K., I think that you're a great English teacher.

Actually, I don't believe that I mentioned any individual poster. The fact that you gave such an eloquent comment, makes me wonder how true my words were to you.

Feel better?

It's funny that such emotion is evoked!
Deeman15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I feel much better. Your comment was unnecessary and smacked of a condescending attitude. People are here to get advise on their job prospects, not to listen to insults.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deeman15 wrote:
Yes, I feel much better. Your comment was unnecessary and smacked of a condescending attitude. People are here to get advise on their job prospects, not to listen to insults.

Actually, most come to get advice. But then, I'm a "noun" kind of guy. I guess that you kind of told me off! What would Gampy say?

It's all about the ability to distinguish between an noun and a verb!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: