Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I want to move to the Phillipines, is this doable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zulethe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: I want to move to the Phillipines, is this doable? Reply with quote

Basically I would like to move to the Philippines but my current retirement income is only 1,000 per month.

I plan on meeting and marrying a local girl so that I can obtain the appropriate visa to work.

My questions are: Is this enough money to live on? Also, could I find a job other than just teaching English?

I'm 43, and as hard as I've tried, I never want to live in America again. But at the same time, I want to stay busy and be able to find some type of rewarding (not financial) job.

I'm a very frugal person.

thanks

Z
overhere

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zulethe,
I don't live in the Phils but have visited there several times for long periods...One option may be to teach on line...the pay probably stinks but you won't need a lot to supplement your income..not sure if working on line would be illegal or not....You will have no problem meeting and marrying a local...but be careful some see Americans as ATMs...not all ofcourse..If you just want to stay busy you can always do volunteer work.

I am interested in hearing from others regarding if it is possible to live on $1,000 a month..my guess is that it is possible..but not sure....when I have been there I spent alot of time at the bars in Angels city...$1,000 a month would go pretty quick living that lifestyle Smile
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to move to the Phillipines, is this doable? Reply with quote

zulethe wrote:
Basically I would like to move to the Philippines but my current retirement income is only 1,000 per month.

I plan on meeting and marrying a local girl so that I can obtain the appropriate visa to work.

My questions are: Is this enough money to live on? Also, could I find a job other than just teaching English?

I'm 43, and as hard as I've tried, I never want to live in America again. But at the same time, I want to stay busy and be able to find some type of rewarding (not financial) job.

I'm a very frugal person.

thanks

Z

$1000/mo will be a modest, western, lifestyle if you live in the NCR and eat a lot of imported western foods.

If you spend your time whoring around in places like AC (Angeles) it won't last long.

IF you head for the central Phils (Visayas), get a decent girl/wife you can live a comfortable lifestyle on that salary (about 5x what the locals make).

In the NCR you will find that rent will cost you about $250-500/mo.
Food will run from $60/mo eating at the local carenderia to $800 buying imported US branded foods at Ayala.

Out in the "province" you can rent/buy a nice "hobby" farm for about the same rate, grow your own veg and a few chickens, do your shopping for comfort foods in the city once a month and have money left over for your new children (you did say you wanted to marry a local?).

A $1000 to live in the Philippines?
http://liveinthephilippines.com/content/2011/10/a-1000-to-live-in-the-philippines/

http://livingincebu.com/living_in_cebu.htm
http://www.living-in-the-philippines.com/

zulethe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Tom but what about work? Could I make 500 US per month doing something? What about my future spouse? What can the average middle class woman make?

My biggest concern is going over there and having nothing to do. I need to stay busy and intellectually stimulated. 43 is way too young to just sit on a beach somewhere IMHO.

thanks
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zulethe wrote:
Thanks for that Tom but what about work? Could I make 500 US per month doing something? What about my future spouse? What can the average middle class woman make?

My biggest concern is going over there and having nothing to do. I need to stay busy and intellectually stimulated. 43 is way too young to just sit on a beach somewhere IMHO.

thanks

Your average Pinay will earn about $150-200 per month in the city and 1/2 that out in the province.

The chances of you finding work that pays $500, unless you have some significant qualifications that you haven't mentioned yet, is about the same as a snowball in Hades.

Jolie_V

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1K will go a long way if you live in the province. However, that figure is just "enough" if you live in Manila. But, it depends on your lifestyle.

If you plan to marry a local, be aware that you "marry" the family as well especially if the woman's family isn't financially stable nor "educated." This isn't meant to be a sweeping statement, but, that's how it usually goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: