Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

overseas teaching as a career step, toward teaching in US

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike E

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: overseas teaching as a career step, toward teaching in US Reply with quote

I'm American, TESOL-certified, have a BA unrelated to English teaching, and have less than a year of teaching experience.
Ultimately I'm more interested in teaching immigrants in the US than in teaching abroad.
So, generally speaking, is teaching abroad for a year a helpful step in making myself more marketable here? Or is it smarter to spend that time, say, working on an MA TESOL?
Chancellor

Location: Ji'an, China - if you're willing to send me cigars, I accept donations :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: overseas teaching as a career step, toward teaching in U Reply with quote

Mike E wrote:
I'm American, TESOL-certified, have a BA unrelated to English teaching, and have less than a year of teaching experience.
Ultimately I'm more interested in teaching immigrants in the US than in teaching abroad.
So, generally speaking, is teaching abroad for a year a helpful step in making myself more marketable here? Or is it smarter to spend that time, say, working on an MA TESOL?
Why not do both? We have a local organization here in Buffalo, NY that does work with immigrants and they require their ESL teachers to have at least a graduate certificate in adult education. Experience is important (so, definitely stick with what you have until you have at least a year of experience), but many places are going to want to see more than just a 30-day (or equivalent) entry-level TESOL certificate like CELTA.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the biggest area of employment is public school teaching, probably the most useful MA qualification would include K-12 certification. Although you may not be interested in doing that it is a competitive market and it would be one way to watch your back and stay in the ESL teaching field. I ended up doing this in NYC when employment options dried up. I was working at language schools and seemed to be going no where without an MA. I ended up doing an alternate certification program called the NYC teaching fellows and worked for a tutoring company on the side. After 5 years, I decided I wanted to be an EFL as opposed to and ESL teacher, and was able to (based on my experience and MA in TESOL) teach at an international high school in Japan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: