Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pollution in Singapore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveW125

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Pollution in Singapore Reply with quote

Hi,
My wife and I currently live and work in Beijing China. We have been offered positions in singapore but we are a little weary of the pollution levels. The only reason we are leaving Beijing is because of the really poor air quality - just this week our kids have not been able to play outside at school for the entire week and visability is down to about 200 metres.
How bad does the air get in Singapore? The scale used by Beijing and Singapore are different so it's a little hard to get a good idea. Are there days when students are not allowed to play outside? If so how often does this happens? Are people able to exercise outside or just be outside without the air hurting your eyes etc? There are days in Beijing when the air is good but unfortunately these are becoming the exception rather than the norm.

Any information on this would be really appreciated

Thanks!
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha brilliant!

I spent a couple of years in China, in Shanghai mainly, and am well aware of the pollution in China, though I believe Shanghai is a dream compared to Beijing. Guangzhou was probably the worst place I visited in China for pollution.

Anyway, Singapore is nothing like China. The air is generally clean. Occasionally, there is haze around this time of year from Sumatra though nothing too worrying.

After Beijing, you'll think this place is paradise!
KayuJati

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveW125

There is an online site that tracks Singapore's air quality.

http://www.nea.gov.sg/psi/

Having lived in north China myself (Tianjin), I know how bad the air can get especially when the fine sand comes blowing off the Mongolian steppes in March. Still, that "haze" in Singapore, about which wailing_imam speaks, is actually smoke from burning in Sumatra and Kalimantan. It can get quite thick certain seasons. Also, Singapore is built on swampland so the air can be a bit stinky at times (Stinkapore?).

But, yeah, Singapore is still better than north Chinese cities for air quality. I just wouldn't use the word "paradise" in the same sentence with Singapore, normally.

Laughing
creeper1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of the reason Singapore has good air quality is down to the fact that cars are so dawm expensive to run here.

NOt many cars + good subway system = clean air.
elliotb2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, good on you for taking action on the pollution in Beijing. I spent four years in the Pacific Northwest of North America where the air is so pure, and then six months teaching in Beijing. For me the pollution was the main reason why I couldn�t stay. Loved the work, loved Oct 1 when they rocket-cleaned the air, but the pollution just shouldn�t be something that so many people put up with every day.

especially for your kids, move for their health.

Kayujati, thanks for the link. Looks like the air is �good� all around the island.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: