Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IS ANYONE TEACHING/LIVING in NANTOU?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerlady

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: IS ANYONE TEACHING/LIVING in NANTOU? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been offered a job there, the person i spoke with said it's a small city, and I would like to hear from someone actually living there. I was told that it's close to Sun Moon Lake, which looks beautiful, but how is the city? Are there any Western teachers or otherwise living there? Are the people friendly there? How's the atmosphere of the city? Thanks so much for any info you can give me.

All the best
Dr_Zoidberg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nantou is more of a town than a city. Apart from the McDonalds there's not much there in the way of "western" living. Also, there is no train service to other cities. The atmosphere is no different than any other place in Taiwan: Urban sprawl. Concrete. Dirty.

On the other hand, the cost of living will be low and there are buses to Chunghua and Taichung.

Sun Moon Lake isn't as nice a place as it used to be now that it's been taken over by Chinese tour buses.

May I ask the name of the employer?
gingerlady

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: thanks for your reply Reply with quote

and I think I made the right decision which was to hold off on that job. it was through IACC, which I found out from reading posts here is a recruiter. He wouldn't tell me the name of the school, just that it was teaching children from 6-15 years of age. Pay wasn't so good, and ARC wasn't provided. he told me it would cost around NT 5,000 to get an ARC, is that correct as far as you know?
Dr_Zoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm hearing is you are expected to pay the ARC application fee yourself, and it will cost 5000 NT.

They're trying to rip you off. No doubt you would pay IACC or the laoban who would pay the immigration office and you'd be none the wiser. Be aware that the fee for your ARC is 1000 NT for each year of validity.

1 year = 1000NT
3 years = 3000NT

and so on.

I seems you made the right choice in declining the job. Once again, people, be cautious when using a recruiter and don't believe 99% of what they tell you.
steve_c

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to contradict Dr Zoidberg at all--I think he gives great advice--but I just want to give the OP a bit of additional information.

The person who said it costs "around NT5,000 to get an ARC" may have been including all the associated fees in their mind, such as converting your visitors visa to a resident visa (NT2,200-3,000) and getting a health check (~NT1,500) in addition to the NT1,000 ARC processing fee.

Perhaps some schools pay for some/all of this, but the teachers I know (and myself) have had to pay these fees themselves.

Good luck in whatever position you accept!
milkweedma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was ripped off by a large Kindy in Nantou. Can't remember the name as i was working there (very briefly) in association with an infamous cram school in nearby Mingjian township. Becareful in Taiwan. It's a shark infested, money grabbing place.
creztor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

milkweedma, care to share where you moved onto that is the equivalent of Utopia?
yamahuh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS ANYONE TEACHING/LIVING in NANTOU?

I'm pretty sure someone must be...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: