Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Olive Tree English Kindergarten, Chengdu
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Olive Tree English Kindergarten, Chengdu Reply with quote

Hello.

Does anyone have any info. on Olive Tree English Kindergarten in Chengdu, Sichuan Province, China? I have searched and found next to nothing. The employer is Nigel Jones and is waiting on me to sign a contract. (!) This is my first ESL job.

Thank you very much.
vikdk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a workplace this kindy has one of the best reputations in china (if not the best) - but the pay rates offered aint too hot
doubleh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikdk,
How do you know about Olive Tree, if I may ask? Did you work there or know a former teacher there? As I said, I have had a TIME trying to find info. Maybe I am paranoid after hearing scary stories about abducting women for the sex trade in China...so it is good to hear your response. Thank you!
vikdk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is thread somewhere - I think its here - called best places to work in China - olive tree is mentioned there. I've also done work in Chengdu - olive tree has a high reputation with parents because children have contact with an FT throughout the mornings - I also have known someone who tried to get a job there but was turned down because they wern't good enough. I think you are on very safe ground with this job - you even get an english boss!!!
Don't worry about the abduction bit - I've been waiting to be abducted now for nearly 3 years - never been so lucky.
hey im sure that Nigel chap will give you the mail of some of his ex workers - ask them what its like.
doubleh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Any more on Olive Tree, chengdu??? Reply with quote

vikdk,

Yes, thanks, I have been in contact with two previous teachers there, but all of my contacts for info. about this school have come from the director Nigel himself. So, I just wanted to find some "outside" opinions. I also did see the thread I believe you are referring to, but it was just a one-line, though positive, comment about the school.

Thanks again.
Timer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone have any info on this school? Figured in about 5 years there would be more tales to tell.
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that Chengdu is a cool place. I was just there during the Chinese New Year. I met a lot of great people!
doubleh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Olive Tree Kindy, Chengdu Reply with quote

I taught there in '06; out of touch with the folks there now, but I know that it was at least still in operation as of late 2008 (bc a friend was still teaching there then). The Chinese boss was named "Harry", and his wife "Alice". What did you want to know? I'm glad to try and help.
ptailstyle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering taking a job here, any more thoughts on this organization?
Thanks,
ptailstyle
doubleh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: olive tree Reply with quote

Hi. I haven't had any recent contact with the school or teachers there since my last post about it, but you might be interested to check their website (http://www.olivetree-cn.com/), esp. if you can read (or know someone who can read) Chinese. (The English version of the website is about 5 years out of date, whereas the Chinese version has posts, with photos, from 2011.)

From the 2011 photos I saw on there it looks like some of the same folk are running the show: "Harry" the Chinese owner of the school, and Luis, from the USA and a now...8? year veteran of Olive Tree...I think. Both good people. Place is on the north side of Chengdu, which was (at least in 2007) all the way across town from the "expat" side of Chengdu, where the clubs, hostels and Western-style restaurants are. Unless the school has moved, it was in a "nice" neighborhood of Chengdu, with some expensive high-rise apts around it. Definitely opp's to meet local Chinese on that side of town, at the markets, little restaurants, and such.

Have a blast. (I mean that sincerely.)
ptailstyle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response doubleh, that is good to hear. The only thing I am still uncertain of is that they want me to come on a tourist visa and get the z visa and residency permit once I am there. Did you go through this same process?
doubleh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that process sounds very familiar. In order to process the permit, be prepared for a full physical exam upon your first days there, where a school driver will whisk you away to a Chinese hospital, where you will have a lovely chest x-ray (to make sure you ain't carrying TB!) and I think a blood sample taken...that was not a fun welcome to the job for me, so hopefully knowing about this ahead of time will possibly help you.

Also, you'll take care of any further requisite paperwork, including, but not limited to, possibly having to fabricate various academic "honors" you have received. When I was there, this last bit was acomplished with the help of Luis (the head teacher) and the school's computer and printer, all over a few laughs.

If things are the same-ish as they were in '06 for me, your residency permit will be legit and help you out to stay there legally for one year from the date of issue (nice for travelling on breaks). Harry, the Chinese boss, even arranged an extention on my permit (for a year I think!), even though I did not renew my one-year contract with the school. This allowed me to travel in China after the job, hassle-free. It's all who you know (or stay in good with) over there...but maybe you know that.

Again, have a blast.
Banner41

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Chengdu now and the school still has a decent rep here.
MESL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel is one of the coolest bosses in China and Olive Tree is one of the best places for a foreign teacher.
ptailstyle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool I took the job, leaving in a few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: