Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N/A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
down_town_SLO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:53 am    Post subject: N/A Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by down_town_SLO on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
creztor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new comer always gets stuck with the weekend classes. However, it does also depend largely on the cram school, because some simply don't have weekend classes. It will vary from school to school, but be prepared to on Saturday just in case.

Last edited by creztor on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
down_town_SLO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by down_town_SLO on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr_Zoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not you work Saturdays all depends on what you can negotiate.
creztor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no negotiating with the majority of cram schools. If you don't do weekends, you'll either be fired or they will make sure they don't rehire you. The same goes for any of their "extra activities" such as Xmas etc. I learnt this the hard way Smile I would go so far as to say that for the average cram school jobs there's no such thing as negotiating. Of course I am just generalizing, but there's far too many teachers looking for work and schools know this. It's their way or the highway.

Last edited by creztor on Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr_Zoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go so far to say that the "average" cram school in Taiwan is run by all sorts of dodgy characters, to put it politely, with those professing to be Christian ranking the worst of the worst.

The challenge is to find one that's not run-of-the-mill, or has a decent laoban who seeks substance over flash. That's easier said than done.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Taiwan since 2007 and have never worked weekends at any of my Buxibans until this year. Only reason I am doing it now (morning only) is because I have adult classes that I quite enjoy.

Coming in on a Saturday to teach ankle biters?

Forget it.

Last edited by yamahuh on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
isitts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Working weekends a necessity? Reply with quote

down_town_SLO wrote:
I'm coming to Taiwan and was curious about the likelihood of working weekends, primarily Saturday. I've seen many job postings that mention "free weekends!" however I've also read that your bushiban may say initially that you won't work weekends but later strongly suggest that you do. Essentially leaving you little room to say no.

What has been your experience?

Thanks.

Shane English School tends to work you on Saturday, but you still get two days off. Might have to negotiate getting the two days consecutive. I had Sunday and Tuesday off, which blew, but the other teacher at my school got Sunday and Monday off. Suppose you could check what schedule they're giving you.

(Only worked 9am-12pm Saturdays, btw.)
markcmc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just choose a job that doesn't require weekend work if that's a problem. There are plenty of schools that can't find enough students for weekend classes in the present economic conditions. It's not too hard.
down_town_SLO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by down_town_SLO on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vendetta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creztor wrote:
There's no negotiating with the majority of cram schools. If you don't do weekends, you'll either be fired or they will make sure they don't rehire you. The same goes for any of their "extra activities" such as Xmas etc. I learnt this the hard way Smile I would go so far as to say that for the average cram school jobs there's no such thing as negotiating. Of course I am just generalizing, but there's far too many teachers looking for work and schools know this. It's their way or the highway.
It's a schools' market now and they know it. It's not a teachers market anymore. I heard on Yahoo news that up to 6% of Americans have left their country for greener pastures.
creztor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, Vendetta. There's no negotiating for cram schools, at least for the most part.

Vendetta wrote:
It's a schools' market now and they know it. It's not a teachers market anymore. I heard on Yahoo news that up to 6% of Americans have left their country for greener pastures.
markcmc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creztor wrote:
There's no negotiating for cram schools, at least for the most part.

This may be true, but it's still possible to choose between better or worse schools.
Vendetta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markcmc wrote:
creztor wrote:
There's no negotiating for cram schools, at least for the most part.

This may be true, but it's still possible to choose between better or worse schools.
Very True, but those two lines are becoming very blurred. Boss tells/assigns me a couple hours for Saturday mornings. I say okay. Or if I say no, my boss will say okay and hire another teacher. Then when I need those hours, they are gone; better yet, if I were not fitting in or getting along and the other new teacher is, guess what? You know the rest of that story. Best you can do is grin and bear it in most tight situations. There aren't many options out there. I have been searching everywhere and 90% of the schools just simply say "nope" and turn their heads; coming from down here in the middle part of the Island.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: