Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a job in Rio De Janeiro?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
si-sewell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Finding a job in Rio De Janeiro? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice...

I'm planning to teach in Brazil (either Rio or Sao P) come January or February and I'm at the point now where I would like to get something sorted for next year.

I'm finding it very difficult to find legitimate websites online that have vacancies for Brazil; there seems to be a lot for other parts of the world.

I've read that a lot of schools in Rio mostly hire teachers that are already living in Rio...

If anyone there is already teaching in Brazil, how did you get started?

Thanks for your help!!
Smile
Jampen26

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Working in Rio Reply with quote

I don�t intend to scare you, but here is my version of the status in Brazil.

I�ve been here for nearly 3 months now - I arrived with enough money to travle and visit friends for 4-6 months, but intended to find work.

I was offered work in Sao Paulo, all under the table kind of stuff, but most of it is in-company, and not really my kind of lifestyle.

In Rio there are heaps of schools - see my previous posting with a list of schools and contact details.

You�re right in assuming that it will be easier to find work once you are here. However I would suggest a few things:

Come with enough money to live on your own for at least 2 or 3 months.
Don�t expect to get a visa.
Expect to work for a few different companies, and spend your days criss crossing the city to visit different clients.
Do expect to be point blank refused a job if you don�t have a visa.
Do expect to be asked which Cambridge Qualification you hold (and by that I mean FCE or CAE......and if you haven�t done the exam, expect utter confusion as to why you�d even try to apply for a job at the school)
Do expect to be sent on a training course to learn how to teach if you are thinking of working in a bigger chain school
Expect to not want to work for a chain school Smile
Be flexible.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: