Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody know where the above average jobs in Chile are?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Anybody know where the above average jobs in Chile are? Reply with quote

Will universities take you on as a foreigner and help out with the visa process? Any above average instututes that offer close to British Council salaries? Is the DELTA worth anything to anybody or is a masters regarded more highly?

Sometimes I wonder if anybody is on this forum...
AnnitaSudAmerica

Location: Yellow Springs, Ohio (por ahora/for right now...until Dec.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Antofagasta, Antofagasta Reply with quote

Hello! I just read your link and thought I would answer your question that you seemed to initially have.

I worked in Antofagasta for 4 months and that is where you can make a nice amount of money. There is a huuuuuge demand for English teachers. Granted, the city isn�t that pretty always but the coast line and the Atacama desert is absolutely amazing.

Some English institutes need teachers with either the CELTA or the TEFL Certificate to be able to teach certain classes (depending on what the companies in need of these classes require). So, it is always good to have some kind of document that shows your experience. When in Antofa I was asked to teach an English course because it required the teacher to have the TEFL Certificate (or equivalent).

Just an idea...

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! I had thought about Antofagasta because I applied for a job there a year ago that had excellent pay - didn't get an interview but I've had the city in the back of my mind. Nice to know that there's a healthy level of demand there.
karynr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Jobs? Reply with quote

How would you recommend going about getting jobs in the north? I haven't seen much advertising. I'm thinking about just going for a short vacation to see my boyfriend (who currently works there) and see if I can't find a position while I'm there.
kakki81

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also be interested in knowing how to go about searching for jobs in Antofagasta, or anywhere else in Chile. I know most people say to just show up and go from there, but just checking if there are any reputable schools that hire beforehand.

I have a TEFL certificate and 2 years of experience teaching English in Korea, and a Bachelor's and M.Ed. If I don't show up to Chile till May do you think I'll be ok?
Mbarbetta1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, asked to delete

Last edited by Mbarbetta1 on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Lunkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just curious, how much money are we talking about being able to be made in Antofagasta?

it's possible to make around $3000US/month (or more) in Santiago... granted it's a fair amount of work, working for a couple of different institutes, having your own privates, etc. but if you enjoy it, it's not really work! Very Happy
torentosan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Good Info Reply with quote

Lunkey wrote:
just curious, how much money are we talking about being able to be made in Antofagasta?

it's possible to make around $3000US/month (or more) in Santiago... granted it's a fair amount of work, working for a couple of different institutes, having your own privates, etc. but if you enjoy it, it's not really work! Very Happy

Now that's news you can use.
dackinator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the private international schools (I mean real full syllabus schools, not language schools).

Places like Redland, Scuola Italiana, Grange school, etc. They're very prestigious, expensive to study in, and located in the most expensive parts of santiago (vitacura, las condes). So I'm sure they pay a lot.
Don Alan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your data is quite misleading Lunkey. Hardly anyone makes that type of money.
SeHablaIngles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Alan wrote:
I think your data is quite misleading Lunkey. Hardly anyone makes that type of money.

Ahem! I do Embarassed (Actually it's closer to $4,000 USD per month)

Granted, I've been here nearly four years and haven't set foot in an institute since 2009.
Don Alan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you - but unless things have changed a lot in the last three years since I left Chile - it's not likely...at the end of the day most institute jobs only offer survival wages. Good private schools offer a step up as do some universities but you need to have good qualifications. I worked in a top private school and a university but those kind of jobs are not easy to get and didn't pay the kind of money you mention. I imagine you are doing something else?
SeHablaIngles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Alan wrote:
Good for you - but unless things have changed a lot in the last three years since I left Chile - it's not likely...at the end of the day most institute jobs only offer survival wages. Good private schools offer a step up as do some universities but you need to have good qualifications. I worked in a top private school and a university but those kind of jobs are not easy to get and didn't pay the kind of money you mention. I imagine you are doing something else?

Hi Alan,

I just stopped working for institutes altogether and started working exclusively with my own students. The big money is in groups if you can get them. The economy of scales is beneficial to all parties concerned and you cut out the middle man (the incompetent institute).

There is a huge amount of work here and the appetite for private tutors is immense. You have to do a bit of work to get them but it's worth it.

Working for institutes was very useful for me. I honed my skills there and having a steady job helped with the visa process. As soon as I got my permanent visa I ditched the institute, got a current (checking) account and expanded my teaching portfolio.

And because I pay all my taxes monthly I have a legal record of my earnings which enables me to rent decent apartments, get bank loans and store credit.

Like I said, I didn't start off like this from day one. It took me 18 months to figure out the system and get loads of teaching practice through institutes. But if you're here for more than two years and still picking up a wage from an institute/school/uni, then, to use the British parlance, you are a mug!
Lunkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Alan wrote:

most people don't make that type of money b/c they accept 6 luka an hour (or less) from a shitty institute. but that's how those institutes make money, they take advantage of people who come here to work for a year or so (and who usually come with a fair amount of savings so they don't get too preoccupied about their wages).

but if you're really serious about it, and willing to work a little, there's no reason you can't make at least a million pesos/month between march and december.

Last edited by Lunkey on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lunkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sehablaingles, are you a native English speaker/are you chilean?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: