Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Russian Anthropology

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaneth

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Russian Anthropology Reply with quote

So the caucasians whitened Europe and the Mongols darkened Caucasia, according to Communist Smurf.

Interesting.

I suffered, until recently, under the "all people from the mid-east are arabic" delusion. I saw some pics from a hitch-hiking expedition and man, the people (a lot of them at least) were white. Trippy.

Some times I'm really amazed at the mix of people and cultures in the former Soviet Union. When I was a kid, we had such a narrow view of the place. Another interesting thing to me is the archaeology. Mammoths and arrowheads, and old pottery. I like all the old fashioned wooden stuff too. I'd like to make it to some former republics some time. Maybe after my Russian is a little better. I really get the feeling that there's a whole world to discover here within the borders of the old USSR.

I saw a documentary when I was in Estonia recently (stop me if you've heard this one) about a theory that the amazons of Greek legend ended up in Southern Russia. Maybe in Stavropol, actually. After a battle on the black sea with the greeks they fled East and ended up shipwrecked on the coast and intermarried with the Russians (or the people that were there then, maybe caucasions).

Seen any Amazons, Waxwing?
waxwing

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi oi oi..
Bozhe moi!
Sitting in a cafe on Prospyekt Kirova, Pyatigorsk, watching the Amazons go by .. died and gone to heaven Laughing

This place was apparently a major migration route (i.e. the corridor between the Black Sea and the Caspian).

And yes I think there are some really interesting republics, like Kalmykia, where there's a lot of Buddhists (from Tibet, I think, from what I saw in museums). And I remember reading there's one bit, in the far east, south of Khabarovsk, where they actually have some kind of sub-tropical rainforest.

On the whole though, I think European Russia is more racially homogeneous than where I'm from (UK). I mean you could probably wander across from somewhere like Volgograd into Ukraine and then off to Poland, Slovakia etc. and you'd see basically the same types all the way.
zaneth

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is definitely a huge, huge area of "monoculture" here. I miss the mix of peoples there was in the Seattle Area. Many asians, especially. Seattle looks more to Asia than to Europe in many ways. But outside of the cities, I'm definitely used to cultural homogeneity for a long distance (much of the US, Canada). The town I'm in now is very white. I guess that's why I perk up any time I see stuff about other cultures (I did leave home to see other cultures after all).

Ever spent any time in Kalmykia? How serious is the Buddhism there? Just a smattering or a real element of society?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: