Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colegios that will hire w/out CELTA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Colegios that will hire w/out CELTA Reply with quote

Im looking for some first or second hand info about some colegios that will hire someone with only a university degree and minimal to no experience.

Plan on coming to Colombia around june or july to start looking for a colegio job.

So any advice on specific colegios to apply at would be great.

I'm alittle nervous and paranoid I wont be able to find a suitable job that pays decent without a CELTA.

I just cant justify shelling out 2K for only teaching ESL for 6months - year.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of factors here...With no qualifications, it won't be impossible for you to get a job at a colegio, but it will be tough, especially if you're not sticking around long enough to make solid contacts. But even assuming you beat the odds and get a job offer from a colegio right off the bat despite your lack of qualifications, the chances that it will pay good money aren't particularly high. as i've said many times on this forum, well paying colegio jobs are plentiful - though not if you lack qualifications and experience - but, more importantly, you often need to invest some time in Colombia before they become available...so the question would be why go through all the extra stress of working at a colegio if its not going to be a well-paying gig?

Then there's also the consideration that you're talking about only staying maybe 6 months - it's not particularly nice to go into a high school with no qualifications if you're not even committed to investing a full year into the kids' education. Even if you were willing to commit to a full year, with zero experience and no qualifications, stepping into a Colombian high school classroom would likely put you in way over your head - you'll probably hate it.

Maybe everyone's just better off if you stick to institute teaching? If you find a decent institute, you might make a solid $2 million/month teaching 20 hrs/week. Its low stress, and you'll probably have a much more pleasant 6 month-1 year experience.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i can make 2mil pesos at a language institute than Id prefer that most likely. But im not trying to live in Bogota and institutes pay lower in other cities.

I guess I could try to get some work doing esl in south florida and maybe get some certificate.

Seems to me id have a better chance of making 2mil in another city at a colegio.
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with windowlicker in that institutes would be better. I would figure that colegios would need some type of commitment from you, since hiring you will be an investment. Also, when working with children, it's better for adults to commit to them rather than coming and going.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not planning on living in Bogota, your chances of getting a colegio job go down even further. There are far fewer schools in other cities that fall into that little niche you're looking for where they have the resources to hire a foreigner, but aren't so elite that they demand serious qualifications. And seriously, $2 million is not worth the stress of a colegio job. Either get the qualifications and make the time commitment to make yourself competitive for jobs paying $3 million +, or stick with institutes.
MNguy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CELTA will not get you any job a TEFL won't in any Colegio. You think a school advertising for someone with a university degree and teaching licence is really going to care which one-month teacher training certificate course you took?
Woodman09

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget it-- Won't happen without good contacts
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA does make a difference.

If a school wants a teaching license then a CELTA would be an insufficient qualification. I, however, have been offered and accepted several jobs (including a high school, a language institute and 2 universities) and been told in the interview that having a CELTA (as opposed to some kind of online TEFL) was one of the key qualifications for having been called for the interview. When I was interviewing at a university fresh off the CELTA, the (British) head of the department specifically told me that there was no way I would have been called in for the interview if I hadn't had a CELTA.
MNguy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very subjective truths there. So I will offer mine. The only places I've come across that care about the CELTA or TEFL are places with a financial interest in promoting one or the other.
The truth is that a four-year degree and experience (among other qualifications, depending on the position) are the things that matter most.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNguy wrote:
Very subjective truths there. So I will offer mine. The only places I've come across that care about the CELTA or TEFL are places with a financial interest in promoting one or the other.
The truth is that a four-year degree and experience (among other qualifications, depending on the position) are the things that matter most.

Do you have a CELTA? It might be that you haven't come across these schools because you're not being called into interviews (because you don't have a CELTA). I've had similar experiences to Spanglish, though our paths have crossed several times, so some of the schools he's talking about are the same for me.

Some schools that prefer CELTA are also just as okay with the Trinity cert...however, the British Council is very well respected in Colombia, and as it promotes the CELTA, that's the certification Colombians are more familiar with. Probably extra points if you can say your CELTA actually comes from the British Council in Bogot� (but I might be biased, since that's where mine is from).
windowlicker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just add further that the British Council works with high schools and universities all over the country. They send teachers to do workshops and teacher training sessions all over the place. Universities and high schools send their experienced teachers to the British Council to update their qualifications. In my CELTA course I had Colombians who'd been at their jobs in universities or high schools for years and years who were being encouraged by their schools to do the course.

Unless you're going to do a Master's degree in TEFL, the CELTA/DELTA route is the only path to most of the really prime jobs in Colombia. It's something the best employers recognize and set apart from a generic certification (regardless of whether or not that's deserved).
MNguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windowlicker wrote:
I'll just add further that the British Council works with high schools and universities all over the country.

Many private language institutes do because the lower quality colegios and unis don't want to fuss with the visa requirements.
I worked for two different colegios and did some teacher training at a uni there.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNguy wrote:
windowlicker wrote:
I'll just add further that the British Council works with high schools and universities all over the country.

Many private language institutes do because the lower quality colegios and unis don't want to fuss with the visa requirements.

Yes, many low quality schools (and unfortunately even some schools that have a reputation for being "high quality") contract out their language classes to institutes. When I say the BC works with schools all over the country though, I don't mean that BC teachers are teaching classes at these schools. I mean they are certifying schools as Cambridge exam centers, certifying teachers as exam proctors or oral examiners, presenting at conferences, running teacher training workshops, helping schools update their curriculum, advising them on which English books to use, etc. The directors of some international schools are British themselves and have close ties to people at the embassy and British Council. As a result, many of these schools know and recognize the CELTA, and it looks particularly good to them if it says on your resume that you received it from the British Council (and even better if you can list someone at the BC as a reference).

This is obviously a case that is particular to Colombia...in other countries where the BC isn't around or where their presence isn't as strong, you're probably right: schools don't care which one month certification course you did. After three years in Colombia though, I strong feel this isn't the case here.
G22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get a job at a small colegio w/o a celta, just a BA, however I had previous experience teaching at a couple of institutes. I kinda got lucky, the colegio was across the street from a house I was staying at and someone from the school approached me and asked if I could speak English because they were looking for a teacher. Perhaps establish yourself in the city and work at an institute to gain experience first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: