Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ICON+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliotb2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: ICON+ Reply with quote

I got a job offer from ICON+. Has anyone heard of them? They have a scheme where SGD 500 are withheld each month, paid out at months 8 and 12. Is that a sign that it is a terrible job, or is withholding a typical scheme for foreign hire contracts? Might there be any indication that it is illegal in Singapore?

Any ideas would be truly appreciated Exclamation Exclamation
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very odd to me. Sounds like an incentive to stop you doing a runner. I'd say this doesn't bode well. How much do they offer for a month?
elliotb2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you wailing_imam. Base is 3000 minus 500 withheld until months 8 and 12. Sure, it keeps the runners at bay, but it seems extremely harsh for those of us who are serious about teaching, serious about doing a good job and getting fair pay.

Its medical coverage plan is bunk. Does that mean that private health insurance is most common in Singapore?
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds dreadful. Give it a miss.

Yes, most people have some kind of private healthcare plan. It's not too expensive, depending on your age. I think I pay around SGD$300 a year with NTUC Income.
elliotb2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: And. . .Done Reply with quote

The company seemed quite unprofessional in my dealings with them. The contract seemed like a first draft and just seemed like it couldn�t hold water overall. Finally, that withholding scheme would have made my life miserable for five hundred bucks a month.

Whew, disaster averted. Again, wailing_imam, thanks for the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: