Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ECC application

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellaguru518

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: ECC application Reply with quote

First, an introduction. Hi! My name is Clare, long time stalker, first time poster. I'm 29. I have my bachelors in evolutionary biology. Needless to say, I've been waitressing for the past 6 years. I am currently applying for jobs in Japan. I am open to teaching in other countries, but Japan is my first choice.

I was just looking over the online application for ECC. I have a question about the length of answers in the application. Personally, I could write a novel about my most recent trip to Japan and why I want to teach there. I realize that would be a bit over the top. How MUCH should I repress my ability to ramble? Do they want a paragraph or a 500 word essay (like Amity)?

I apologize ahead of time if this question has been asked already (possibly multiple times). I've been digging through this forum for almost a year now and there is a plethora of information on here. I've yet to come across the answer I seek.

Hmmm... told you I was long winded. Have a nice day!
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about the online application question where it says:
Please briefly summarize your "overseas" or "out of country" travel experience.(destination/length of stay/purpose)

[underline was ECC's, not mine]

Keep it to a paragraph. Less than 200 words or so. Remember, if you tend to ramble, they will wonder if you do the same in the classroom. Not only will that detract from the actual lesson content, but it takes away time that students need to practice speaking.
ellaguru518

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer! I'm mostly looking at the "Why would you like to go to Japan?" section. I know that many schools want a 500 word essay. I just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case here.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about other people, but I would suggest keeping that to 200-250 words, too.

Be careful about saying things that look like you are the one who wants to get something out of the deal and are not giving anything back.

Also, be careful about wording your desire to teach, especially if you have never done so. I've seen enough resumes that show they have clearly not done their homework about what it will really be like here.
ellaguru518

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your help!
As far as knowing what I'm getting into. I don't have teaching experience. I do, however, have a friend who has taught in Japan, another friend in Taiwan, and a yet another in Hong Kong. Their experiences definitely inspired me to pursue this.
Thereandbackagain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: ECC application Reply with quote

I'm sure that this is obvious, but make sure that your answers are grammatically correct. Good luck!
ellaguru518

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an answer the next day! I don't know if this is common, but I'm very encouraged.
I'm a little nervous about the sample lesson. I've never made a lesson plan before. I know I won't know my topic until 30 minutes before I give the lesson. I want to make sure it's engaging and unique. How do you prepare ahead of time without any information? I guess I'll just read the entire Idea Cookbook.
Haruka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! My name is Meghan. Also long time stalker, first time poster! Clare, I did ECC's interview session last year and the demo lesson is not as hard as it sounds. You will be in a team and the others in your group should help flesh out the lesson. They're looking for potential, not perfection. Although, go into the interview looking your best, be familiar with the shcool and all information they send you, have wide open availability, enough money to move, and be prepared for the grammar test. Best reference is the book Grammar In 15 Minutes A Day. Your local library should have it.

I have applied with ECC again as well, but I am still waiting to see if they will take me for the session in November. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: