Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oman V UAE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovetoteach

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Oman V UAE Reply with quote

Where would be better to go to save money - Oman or the UAE ( Sharjha)? Which has the lower cost of living? Between the two which is a nicer place, Sharjha or Sohar , Oman?

Also, can an unmarried couple live together in Oman?

I understand that in Oman flats come unfurnished, is it possible to find furnished ones (i.e with fridge, bed general necessities) and for what price?

Thank you for any advice Very Happy
apollolight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost identical questions about Oman...any response with information would be greatly appreciated...
urbanversion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: re: no way Reply with quote

Quote:

Forget all about that. Couples have been deported/lashed even in the UAE.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any Western couples who have been lashed and only know of a very few who have been arrested and deported. There are a few unmarried Western expat couple living together - and always has been, but you really need to know the culture and the ropes. A mis-step which offends the wrong person can cause the legal problems. (the first couple who ended up in jail in Dubai some years back was turned in to the law by her ex-husband) It is only possible if both members of the couple are employed... with full work/residence visas and provided housing... preferably by the same employer. Either the pretense of two separate flats is maintained or the couple "pretends" to be married as far as neighbors and general society know.

BUT... IMHO, in this part of the world, it is best to be married if you plan to live together... especially if you are living/working in a small town in Oman.

VS
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree - either marry or look elsewhere - it's a big, big world.
blackorchid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please comment on the original question. Oman vs UAE. I would be interested on hearing your comments.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackorchid wrote:
Can someone please comment on the original question. Oman vs UAE. I would be interested on hearing your comments.

Actually the cohabitation topic was part of the original question if you read the whole thing. Rolling Eyes Perhaps the most important part...

I've lived in both and prefer Oman, but it was years ago. You will probably make more money in the UAE, but have more opportunities to spend it on stuff you don't really need. Laughing Preference between the two is about lifestyle. I like the quiet life of Oman, but wouldn't really want to live outside Muscat. YMMV

VS
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sohar or Sharjah? For me it would be Sharjah, without a moment's hesitation.
madrileno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UAE tends to have higher salaries, but the cost of living reflects that. Be prepared to spend a whole lot more if you live in Sharjah, especially with Dubai right next door.

Sohar will be far more cheaper, and also more quiet. However, the amenities will be limited. You'll be traveling to Muscat if you want to get any western products or to visit a bar.

Getting a fully furnished flat depends mostly on your employer. Most employers provide a housing allowance though, so you can go in search of your own place if you'd like.

As far as cohabitation with a non-married partner, I wouldn't risk it. In this part of the world, offending the native's sensibilities may get you the lash and deportation. I'd consider somewhere else in the world if you want to stay with your unmarried partner.
Geronimo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madrileno wrote:
Quote:
Sohar will be far more cheaper(sic), and also more quiet. However, the amenities will be limited. You'll be traveling to Muscat if you want to get any western products or to visit a bar.

In fact, there are malls and bars in Sohar. Bars are available in at least 3 hotels. And, regarding the malls, the new Safeer Mall, in particular, offers a wide selection of western products.
See today's "Muscat Daily" for evidence...
http://www.muscatdaily.com/Archive/Stories-Files/The-Body-Shop-opens-at-Safeer-Mall-Sohar

"AMEinfo" informs us that a major new development - Sohar City Centre- is on its way as well...

"Sohar City Centre will feature a new Magic Planet for family fun and entertainment, great shopping, with over a hundred stores, a food court with tastes from around the world and even two hotels - Ibis and Novotel. The City Centre will also introduce Carrefour, the world's second largest retailer, to Sohar."
For further details see...
http://www.ameinfo.com/194237.html

Returning to the very first question, if not the 'original one' Smile - there is more scope to save in the UAE because the difference between the salaries and unavoidable outlay is generally greater there than in Oman. Does that mean that English Teachers save more annually in the UAE than in Oman in practice? Or do they simply succumb to a greater array of temptations to consume? Much more debatable question, that one!

Geronimo
nicole2010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Carrefour is currently open in Sohar. It is in the Safeer Mall. Also, Sohar is close to the UAE, so weekend trips to Dubai or the UAE are a reasonable option.
urbanversion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: re: boring place Reply with quote

Quote:
The Carrefour is currently open in Sohar.

How exciting...not.

Sohar is a rubbish place, can't see why so many FT's in Oman are in love with it. It is just developing into another dubai or muscat...also crappy cities imho.

I'd imagine somewhere with less grovelling weasels is better to work in Oman, in fact, better to work elsewhere possibly.

Cheers and regards
nicole2010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi urbanvision...aren't you in China...? Just was stating the facts because it seemed there was confusion among the previous posters. To clarify more on hypermarkets in Sohar:

1. The Carrefour is in the Safeer Mall 2. The LuLu's was burnt down in the protests and there are plans to rebuild but in a different location 3. The Safeer Hypermarket in Safeer Mall closed down in 2010 4. The Al Fair closed down in 2011 5. There are smaller markets such as Almeida 6. There is a Safeer Market near Sallan Roundabout.

There are three main hotels: Crowne Plaza, The Beach Hotel, and (the becoming infamous) Wadi Hotel where Westerners "hang out." Take care.
nicole2010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re love to teach

Where would be better to go to save money - Oman or the UAE ( Sharjha)?
This depends on your salary and the "extras" in the contract. Cost of accommodation would be a real factor in saving; is it provided or do you get an allowance? Rent in Sohar is relatively cheap, but you need an Omani friend to negotiate. Lots of expats live in the Palm City- a gated community with villas and apartments. The rent is on the steep side, but worth it as you are insulated and have access to a pool and other amenities. Also, no one (Omani men) will pester your girlfriend if she is hanging alone. Here, probably no one would ask you about being married and no one would care about it. Also, you will need a car which is costly. You can save some money in Sohar. Also, which school would you work for; some don't pay on time. Please research the employer to make sure they are reputable.

Which has the lower cost of living? Sohar

Between the two which is a nicer place, Sharjha or Sohar , Oman?

Sohar is still like a village; you can meet everyone quickly. There are not that many expat teachers- mostly expats are from the Valle and Sohar Aluminum. There is a nice beach. The only major stores are CentrePoint and Carrefour. It can become boring quickly without socializing and creating your own fun. It is possible protests could start again in the future. Every few months (two months back), its reported some cars or trucks were set on fire in "protest."

Sharjha offers more and is closer to civilization you might be used to.

I would say it is easy to "get away with" in Oman (especially if you are living in an expat compound or renting your own villa), but technically it may not be exactly legal. However, non-Muslim expats have different rules applied to them, i.e. you can get an alcohol license and purchase from authorized stores (not allowed for Omanis). Your only problem would be if an Omani became your enemy and wanted to make trouble for you.

I understand that in Oman flats come unfurnished, is it possible to find furnished ones (i.e with fridge, bed general necessities) and for what price?

Yes, it is possible, but most don't. Flats in the expat compounds would come with a fridge, but you may need to buy your own bed and TV. Sometimes, if accommodation is provided in your contract, the flat will come furnished. Sohar is cheap enough, you could rent a small villa with a garden. It is possible to buy furniture from departing expats for a reasonable price. Good luck.
apollolight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: breakdown of offer Reply with quote

Hi Nicole..you seem to have a lot of accurate information about Sohar so if I do get a job offer there, I'll probably pester you about the details in it and see if I'll be able to save while I'm there..cheers and thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: