Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brunei Bound! Advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
becalm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Brunei Bound! Advice? Reply with quote

Finally - after many blips and MOE queries re documents etc. have signed contract and am coming out to Brunei for beginning of January!

So...... where to start... Is anyone else out there starting In Jan?

What do I need to focus on during the CFBT orientation course - any things I need to make sure that I avoid?

I know that I will have to go where the school vacancies are.... but if I have a choice I would like to be somewhere near the coast so that I can walk on the beach - also want to go sailing - so near sailing club would be great. I also want to join a book group/walking group. Which area does this suggest may be best?

I am hoping to do an MA TESOL distance learning. Have asked CFBT about this ... does anyone know anyone who has had help with this? What does it amount to?

How much is the single housing allowance now- and how easy is it to find smaller 2-3 bed accommodation?
jsteventon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject: Brunei Reply with quote

Hi,

Great that you are Brunei-bound! Check out the tread 'Thumbs Up For Brunei.' Lots of info there. Also, CfBt have a site with blog and forum for Brunei bound recruitees. Useful info there too.

Feel free to PM me too if you have further queries.

All the best !
becalm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thanks for reply. I have researched the Thumbs up for Brunei forum (after seeing the Thumbs down one first!) and everything on the CFBT website. Also have received all the orientation packs - so loads of info. to take in.

Will PM you - but need to have posted 5 times on forum first I think. So any advice re housing and locations is welcome.

Also, am I naive in thinking that I don't have to ship half my house out to Brunei - I have everything in storage here and am hoping to buy anything I need out in Brunei. But guess I will need teaching mats and would love to bring my bike... Can women cycle around okay - or is this not really acceptable/would be a bit strange...

Jane
celtica

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
near the coast so that I can walk on the beach

nothing is far from the beach ...so not really an issue - unless you get posted to Temburong; which as a single it is possible you will be - depends if there are empty slots...

Quote:
also want to go sailing - so near sailing club

same as above ; also Tutong - at least 30 mins away. Bandar and KB have the clubs

Quote:
want to join a book group/walking group

people do both so probably not an issue with either - mostly informal groups though...apart from Hash - in Bandar

Quote:
distance learning

distance is distance ...what's a few more miles when you're already halfway around the world from your study place???

Not very helpful I know...but none of your questions are really issues or reasons to be in one area of Brunei rather than another. It only takes one 11/2 hrs to drive top to bottom along the coastal highway!

The exception is Temburong. That is more cut off - but many singles enjoy it there and come into Bandar on a weekly basis to do the things you list...1/2 - 1hr by boat.

Housing...not so easy nowadays ..KB and Temburong much more expensive, but allowance is also higher to compensate.In Bandar smaller accomodation not so easy to find, thought they are out there. mostly 3,4,4+, two storey houses.Look on bobwhatson.com to see. Lots listed at the moment.

Good luck.... and don't let jsteventon's positive take on everything influence you too much ...... NOTHING is as wonderful as she likes to see it. Like every place in the world, Brunei has its moments!
Insubordination

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say congrats. I hope to be there myself in about 3 years.
BellaBrunei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Brunei Bound! Advice? Reply with quote

How much is the single housing allowance now- and how easy is it to find smaller 2-3 bed accommodation?[/quote]

Single teachers get $1400 per month. Enough for an apartment, bungalow, even a smaller detached house but unless you are in mega-debt or a spendaholic I recommend trying to plan your budget around NOT getting any rebate from your allowance. That way, if you do find a property cheaper than the allowance, it will be a nice bonus!

My advice is to find a house you LIKE that fits your budget. Don't worry much about making money on the allowance. Also, take your time looking. If I am not mistaken, you get 3 months before you need to commit to a property, which gives you lots of time to get used to where your school is and where you feel like you're likely to spend your free time. Good luck with the move!
lostcave

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Becalm
Just wondering how you are going in Brunei & did you end up needing the TESOL qual? Going through the application process for Brunei ATM & considering getting TEFL but not sure how necessary it is? I'm primary trained. Any advice on that or otherwise?
Beyond1984

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: sharia law Reply with quote

Heads up, those in Brunei or going there! :

http://nypost.com/2014/05/10/inside-the-wacky-sex-obsessed-world-of-brunei/

-HDT Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: