Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online Teaching? Worth it anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesart9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Online Teaching? Worth it anyone? Reply with quote

Hello, I am currently looking where to settle. I have a laptop with wi fi etc.
I was wondering if anyone teaches online, and if there are any sites that pay, and its not all too good to be true?
During my CELTA course, some of the lecturers said they know people who teach online and earn enough to do ok!
Anyone? Thanks.
hollysuel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Online Teaching? Worth it anyone? Reply with quote

jamesart9 wrote:
Hello, I am currently looking where to settle. I have a laptop with wi fi etc.
I was wondering if anyone teaches online, and if there are any sites that pay, and its not all too good to be true?
During my CELTA course, some of the lecturers said they know people who teach online and earn enough to do ok!
Anyone? Thanks.

I would say for most people live online teaching is still just a way to supplement your income when you are teaching face-to-face. Some companies just off the top of my head where I have personally made money are:

Myngle
Edufire
Talk Bean
Teacher James
ESOL Nexus
English Bee (formerly Culture Link Online)

Most of the above are free market systems where you set up a profile and start offering courses--you need to get a reputation and you are lucky to get one paying student a week until you get the reputation, which does take a while. The exception to the above is Talk Bean and ESOL Nexus, which is highly selective in their hiring, but they do guarantee and give students.

Things I have learned through the years:

1. Don't bother giving too many free trial lessons--it is a waste of time and energy and most of the students will not pay for lessons anyway--they just go on to the next teacher that offers free lessons.
2. Make sure you have very good internet--just wifi isn't enough for many people (I had interviewed someone located in the Philippines who seemed fairly competent, but his bandwidth was so low that I didn't continue with hiring).
3. Although Skype is the best VOIP available, become knowledgable of the different virtual classrooms available as the students will have a better experience if you actually use a virtual classroom with all of the tools.
4. USE A HEADSET! Even though you have a really good internal microphone/speakers, there is a huge possibility of echos and other technical issues if you don't bother to spend $20 on a good headset. Some employers won't hire.

I recently started a recruiting agency/consulting firm for live online teachers and language schools and pretty much only hire people with certain qualifications/experience. The following are 'deal breakers' for me during the interview/test lesson:

1. The teacher only uses Skype.
2. The teacher doesn't use a headset/feel the need for it
3. The teacher doesn't have an interest in furthering their qualifications in online training (COLT, Consultants-E, LANCELOT, AVALON are all good trainings which concentrates on online training)
4. The teacher is not technically fit
5. The teacher does not prepare for the interview/test lesson
6. The teacher will only use their own virtual classroom
7. The teacher won't use a web camera
8. I'm drawing a blank...

Anyway, I've probably written more than you need to know, but can go on a bit longer... BTW, there is another thread out there with a lot of information about some of the companies who hire--maybe someone can find the link and put it on here...
jamesart9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks very much for the information, it was a lot more than I thought people would give. I make online income from another source and I know the nature of the supplementary aspect of it!
sleepingdragon89

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: check your bandwidth Reply with quote

Wow that hollysuel sure wrote some great advice. I have been doing online teaching for about a year and although there are lots of companies, I can only really do it pt and most want ft. The latter means that it can cut into your weekends so this can be problematic. Also be aware that some countries will require specific teaching times. However no.1 advice is make sure your internet is good enough!!
geaaronson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago I did an online teaching gig with a New York firm. They were good to work with but it was difficult to get assignments. They had dozens every week, but you had to be online to claim them, and there were always a slew of people ahead of me.
This was not an ESL position but with children who had fallen behind and needed supplementary attention. There was no sound component, only written. I recall most of my kids were from the Chicago school system, I lived in Atlanta, and the home base was in NY.
They always paid on time.
kebabmaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: check your bandwidth Reply with quote

sleepingdragon89 wrote:
Wow that hollysuel sure wrote some great advice. I have been doing online teaching for about a year and although there are lots of companies, I can only really do it pt and most want ft. The latter means that it can cut into your weekends so this can be problematic. Also be aware that some countries will require specific teaching times. However no.1 advice is make sure your internet is good enough!!

Hi sleepingdragon,

Are there any other companies out there not yet mentioned that you might recommend?

Thank you,
kebabmaster
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: on line teaching Reply with quote

I am doing on line teaching via SKYPE, and it is not very good, but it sure is better then nothing. I was working in Korea for 10 years, and this job is set up by a Korean friend. It works well because they pay her, and she pays me. Perhaps you have a friend who can set it up for you.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working for an online school for close to a year now and am doing great, I have advanced from teaching into other postions, have gotten raises totalling 30%, and can work as many hours as I want, from wherever I want. And the company is growing like mad, when I started there were 60 teachers, now there are over 300, with plans to hire another 100 over the next few months.
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: on line teaching Reply with quote

So Bad, where are you working from? Home? Where are the students?
I am happy for you that you are doing well. What are the details of your job?
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks hollysuel for such an informative post! I will copy/save it for future reference Smile

I am planning to start teaching online in around one year (I'm expecting baby two shortly!). The hours seem to fit well for someone like me who wants to work part-time very early mornings or very late evenings (my time zone matches well for many Asian students) due to child care issues.
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined Myngle Cool

I'm a student right now, not a teacher. So far, I've found it pretty neat! I used the two free teacher trial lessons (and hired one of them with a basic 10 lesson package to start). Myngle allows you two free trial lessons.

I rejected the other teacher because she refused to use anything but one classroom format which didn't work well for my computer. Too bad, she was quite competent, but considering it's $27/30 minutes, I expected more flexibility as an instructor. I suppose that reinforces your earlier points, holly.

I hope my experience as a student will help me as an instructor too! Not ready for that yet though... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: