Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Webster University Hua Hin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sifu_sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Webster University Hua Hin Reply with quote

Hi

I would be grateful to anyone who could pass on any information about the employment conditions at Webster University in Hua Hin.

I am a teacher with a BA in Linguistics, RSA CELTA, Trinity TESOL Diploma, MEd in Educational Technology and ELT and I am nearing completion of a PhD in Applied Linguistics. I have nearly 20 years' experience as an EFL teacher in Thailand, Europe and the Middle East.

I am looking to relocate to Thailand at some point in the near future, but am in my early 40's so still need to make a reasonable salary.

Does anyone here know anything about the terms and conditions offered by Webster, or know of any other international universities that offer a reasonable salary? I currently get over 200,000 baht per month plus benefits, but don't expect to match that in Thailand.

Thanks

Sifu
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if things have changed recently, but salaries at this outfit were around the Bht 40,000 mark, i.e. barely enough to survive without some kind of secondary or supplementary income - or worse, dipping into your savings. They also used to require that staff get written permission to leave campus during working hours - even if they were only going out for lunch. You will doubtless have posters coming here telling you that you will be able to supplement the meagre salary with lucrative overtime at rates between Bht 1000 - 2000 per hour. Just make absolutely sure that this is definitely the case before making any commitment, as the much-vaunted paid extra work often vaporizes when you actually start your employment, or else is handed out according to whether or not your face fits and how good you are at kissing derrieres. However, Thai employers will always find lots of unremunerated additional work for you to do.

Thai universities are all pretty much the same IMO - fairly ghastly places to work in general, particularly if you have enjoyed far superior salaries, benefits and working conditions in academia in other countries. It's none of my business, but I think you would be better staying in Japan and taking holidays or perhaps planning eventual retirement in Thailand. You will enjoy the place much more if you do not have to enjoin battle with its atrocious edutainment system.
sifu_sensei

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Party Flipper. That's a pretty poor salary when you consider the fees that they charge students. The fees are comparable to those of universities in the West.

I think you're right; it wouldn't be worth leaving my current job for something like that.

Thanks

Sifu
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PattyFlipper wrote:
Not sure if things have changed recently, but salaries at this outfit were around the Bht 40,000 mark, i.e. barely enough to survive

Thai universities are all pretty much the same IMO - fairly ghastly places to work in general, particularly if you have enjoyed far superior salaries, benefits and working conditions in academia in other countries.

Agreed.

Bht 21, 000 was offered at Assumption Univ. several years ago. I guess Bht 40, 000 is double what some schools pay.

Still, they don't seem like universities to me, as in the western definition and image that one may have of what a "university" is.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifu_sensei wrote:
That's a pretty poor salary when you consider the fees that they charge students. The fees are comparable to those of universities in the West.

Indeed. Several Thai universities charge fees comparable to those in the West, and although they are often willing to spend huge amounts of money on shiny buildings for their Potomkin campuses (usually because pockets are being filled), when it comes to human capital, indentured-serfdom is still the order of the day. They then complain that they cannot attract or retain quality foreign faculty.

Shimokitazawa wrote:

Still, they don't seem like universities to me, as in the western definition and image that one may have of what a "university" is.

I don't think they come close to the Asian definition and image of what a university should be like either, which is why few Thai universities (and none of the private ones) ever manage to scrape into even the bottom rungs of the various lists of leading universities.
hawtdawg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a job at Webster University Thailand and it was a regrettable decision. I strongly urge everyone to avoid working there. Feel free to pm for details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: