Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

January Hiring Season in Prague

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smallworld

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: January Hiring Season in Prague Reply with quote

I'm curious to know what the outlook is for the January 2012 hiring season in Prague. I know that it's a lot less active than the August/September hiring season but I am very interested in teaching in Prague and would like to start as soon as possible. I recently got my TEFL/TESOL certification in France, including supervised teaching hours in both group classes and 1 to 1 teaching sessions. I am currently teaching as a volunteer back home in the US, also in a supervised setting. I am confident in my interviewing/interpersonal skills as well as my ability to construct and execute a lesson plan, but I also know that it will be difficult to compete if the majority of the competition has years of experience or if there are very few job openings. I read some earlier posts that touched upon the subject but just wanted to see if anyone has any specific ideas or advice on this topic.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general word is that there are always a few teachers who don't return from their winter holidays, and always a bit of new business from contracts starting at the first of the year - hence, usually a few new positions open.

Prague is very much a city for newbies - as there are five or six active TEFL training centres there, employers are very used to entry-level applicants. You should be as employable as any other non-EU candidate. I think you're already aware that EU member citizens will likely be preferred, as there is no paperwork hassle to hire them.

I don't know first hand how the hiring market is going this year, though - I have friends who run schools in the city, but I haven't really asked how the employee situation is as compared to other years. Hopefully someone who is more in touch with the current situation will come along - the info I've written above is just general, I'm afraid!!
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that there is a good amount of work out in the city. You really have to be here though to get it. Check with your TEFL certification course to see if they have any contacts in the city. They should be able to provide you with assistance I would imagine to some degree.
TEFLXpat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friends that earned their TEFL certificates at the end of January and found employment (mostly with Language Schools in Prague such as Presto and IJV � a few with Wattsenglish as well) within a 2 weeks of the course ending. At the end of January, the demand for teachers is a bit higher because a lot of teachers in Prague may have had contracts that ended at the end of the year, or they may have gone home for the holidays and not come back, or a number of things. There are also a few teachers who earn their TEFL Certificates during the peak July/August/September time, and then decide their overseas teaching adventure is over once the holidays roll around. From interactions with the TEFL expat community, January is a good time to take a TEFL course as well as seek employment in the Czech Republic

Justin (TEFLXPAT) � TEFL Worldwide Prague Class of September 2011
archie40

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFLXpat wrote:
I have friends that earned their TEFL certificates at the end of January and found employment (mostly with Language Schools in Prague such as Presto and IJV � a few with Wattsenglish as well) within a 2 weeks of the course ending. At the end of January, the demand for teachers is a bit higher because a lot of teachers in Prague may have had contracts that ended at the end of the year, or they may have gone home for the holidays and not come back, or a number of things. There are also a few teachers who earn their TEFL Certificates during the peak July/August/September time, and then decide their overseas teaching adventure is over once the holidays roll around. From interactions with the TEFL expat community, January is a good time to take a TEFL course as well as seek employment in the Czech Republic

Justin (TEFLXPAT) � TEFL Worldwide Prague Class of September 2011

What were Wattsenglish like to work for? I've just applied for a job with them in Bratislava.
sisyphus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Westergaard wrote:
I would say that there is a good amount of work out in the city. You really have to be here though to get it. Check with your TEFL certification course to see if they have any contacts in the city. They should be able to provide you with assistance I would imagine to some degree.

Laughing A lot of work?! Thats why hundreds of expats have gone home because they cant find work. I know people with M.A's in TEFL who cant get work and you are saying there is lots of work here?! Perhaps a few hours of subsistence wages. Or maybe you have another agenda.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: