Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to Make Ends Meet...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FloridaTEFL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Trying to Make Ends Meet... Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!
I've been offered a job in Jakarta with the pay being 16,500,000. This sounds pretty good (I think anyway) but here's the kicker... I need to send U.S.$800 home each month. According to the exchange rate that would leave me with about $1000 per month in Jakarta.

I don't splurge much at all. Not a big drinker and maybe eat out on the weekends. I don't go clubbing either. However, I prefer an apartment as opposed to a Kos. Don't need a maid though. I'm just not sure if this leaves me with enough cash to live off of because I'm not sure how rents are for an average 1 bedroom apartment in Jakarta (I'm at least a bit flexible about location)
Can anyone offer me some insight on the cost range of typical apartment rent and groceries for a month?
Thank you!!
rayman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible, but things will be tight. With the $800 sent home each month, you'll be surviving on similar funds to teachers working at EF. An important factor is the location of your workplace. You'll not want to live too far from there as traffic is a killer and transport costs will add up. Obviously, if you're working a little out of town, the rent will be cheaper. If you're in central Jakarta, you'll be starting around US$400/month for a 1 bedroom apartment, including utilities, at somewhere like Taman Rasuna or Sudirman Park. That would put a big dent in your budget. I wouldn't necessarily rule out the kost option. Some are the same size as studio apartments and the social factor can often be better. The downside being, you don't have the complex facilities like gym and swimming pool.
FloridaTEFL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. That feedback is very helpful!
dxn283

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16,500,000 IS a good pay in Indonesia. After your $US800. deduction you'll have around 9m left which is still enough to live on fairly comfortably if you budget - especially in view of your minimal drinking and zero clubbing requirements (me too by the way) - I'd go along with Rayman tho that your best budgeting bet is to choose a good Kost at up to 2m a month (depending on location and facilities) which would most likely be completely self contained and payable monthly. Some Kosts offer a discount if you pay a few months in advance. Apartments are usually payable up to a year in advance and cheaper ones may require purchasing furniture etc. Sometimes you can negotiate monthly payments for an apartment, but expect a higher rent. After rent, all your income is disposable, and there's plenty of affordable destinations to explore!
Lmbenv

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to Make Ends Meet... Reply with quote

FloridaTEFL wrote:
Hi Everyone!
I've been offered a job in Jakarta with the pay being 16,500,000. This sounds pretty good (I think anyway).

Hey FloridaTEFL!

Congrats! How are you doing in your new job and digs?

I am also seriously searching for a good situation, and come out to Java. I think I would prefer East Java... I am def open to recommendations and pointers re different language schools [don't have an English degree; have a CELTA and masters in bio].

As far as I've been reading, the EF schools offer very low salaries.

Please help! Thanks....
uberdoog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to Make Ends Meet... Reply with quote

FloridaTEFL wrote:
Hi Everyone!
However, I prefer an apartment as opposed to a Kos. Don't need a maid though. I'm just not sure if this leaves me with enough cash to live off of because I'm not sure how rents are for an average 1 bedroom apartment in Jakarta (I'm at least a bit flexible about location)
Can anyone offer me some insight on the cost range of typical apartment rent and groceries for a month?
Thank you!!

An apartment is the way to go as kost prices are getting ridiculous and sometimes going higher than a regular apartment.

At north Jakarta, rents range from 17 juta (million Rupiah) a year to 24.

Groceries a month? I spend about 1.2 juta and that's plenty.

You'll do fine with what you have left over.
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can one get 15 million a month with a degree in English and a TEFL?
chezal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Can one get 15 million a month with a degree in English and a TEFL?

Yes. Look at the Wall Street Institute that is their starting salary now.
ghdtreb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget guys there's plenty of private teaching work around. Best to get a small group together (around 4 ppl), and charge say $30. (try & get some money in advance as Indos are notorious for cancelling or punctuality). That should supplement your income.

Yeah apartments can be pricey,the Kost is best option,& some are quite nice, although most are noisy. If things go bad you can simply leave.

Cheers
chezal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghdtreb wrote:
Don't forget guys there's plenty of private teaching work around. Best to get a small group together (around 4 ppl), and charge say $30. (try & get some money in advance as Indos are notorious for cancelling or punctuality). That should supplement your income.

If you are teaching private classes and get caught you will most probably be deported. This is due to you breaching your visa. You are only allow to work for the person/company that has sponsored your visa. Any other teaching is illegal.

People have been deported for much less.
mr fred

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minimum wage for locals varies at around 1 million.
OK, it's not a lot and you can't do much on that sort of money but it does tell you what's possible.
I live with my wife and kid and still spend less than 10 million per month.
I don't bother trying to count how much we spend and we eat out whenever we feel like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: