Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cartels Attack & Murder Internet Posters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Cartels Attack & Murder Internet Posters Reply with quote

Looks like the drug war has taken a new and very scary twist:

Mexico's hyperviolent Zetas drug cartel appears to be launching what may be one of the first campaigns by an organized crime group to silence commentary on the Internet.

The cartel has already attacked rivals, journalists and other perceived enemies. Now, the target is an online chat room, Nuevo Laredo en Vivo, that allows users to comment on the activities of the Zetas and others in the city on the border with Texas.

Already, three apparent site users have been slain, and a fourth victim may have been discovered Wednesday, when a man's decapitated body was found with what residents said was a banner suggesting he was killed for posting on the site. Chat room users said they could not immediately confirm the victim's identity, because people all post under aliases.

http://news.yahoo.com/mexican-drug-cartel-tries-silence-internet-224155885.html
jaimem-g

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary stuff. If you don't get many replies to this, be assured it's because we are censoring ourselves Wink

This should probably go to a sticky and enough said. If you are in your location as posted you should be safe.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cartels Attack & Murder Internet Posters Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:

Already, three apparent site users have been slain, and a fourth victim may have been discovered Wednesday, when a man's decapitated body was found with what residents said was a banner suggesting he was killed for posting on the site. Chat room users said they could not immediately confirm the victim's identity, because people all post under aliases.

If people post under aliases, then how did the narco-murderers find out who they were?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cartels Attack & Murder Internet Posters Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

If people post under aliases, then how did the narco-murderers find out who they were?

Sure they have hackers working for them as well... Think about it.

These are multi-million, even billion dollar organizations complete with PR departments and their own armies.
Samantha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journalists (and Photogs) here have known for ages that it's a risky deal to publish such activity. This is why so many resorted to using blog format for reporting (long before the main stream media "pact" came into being).

By the way, it takes less effort than you might think to find out a physical address of where an IP originates here in Mexico. Sometimes I think this must be the easiest place in the world to be a private detective.
djpresidente

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha wrote:
By the way, it takes less effort than you might think to find out a physical address of where an IP originates here in Mexico. Sometimes I think this must be the easiest place in the world to be a private detective.

One more reason to own a Kindle. Your IP appears as some random access point in the USA. I used it all the time to evade the great firewall in China.

My journalist/activist friends say this type of retribution killing has increased substantially in the last few months, even though it's been a problem for quite a while. My advice: read but don't write.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djpresidente wrote:
Samantha wrote:

One more reason to own a Kindle. Your IP appears as some random access point in the USA. I used it all the time to evade the great firewall in China.

My journalist/activist friends say this type of retribution killing has increased substantially in the last few months, even though it's been a problem for quite a while. My advice: read but don't write.

Does the same apply to the B&N Nook?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: