Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexican Peso

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaimem-g

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Mexican Peso Reply with quote

What's happening to the peso? I notice it's down to $ .072 against the US dollar. It's down more than a penny since I left in August.

How's that affecting you long term residents?
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican Peso Reply with quote

jaimem-g wrote:
What's happening to the peso? I notice it's down to $ .072 against the US dollar. It's down more than a penny since I left in August.

How's that affecting you long term residents?

Since most of my income is in dollars (pensions from the US), I am enjoying the great exchange rate!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, as I'm now in the inbound travel business, I'm buying in pesos and selling in dollars.
jaimem-g

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for some at least Smile .

I wonder how it affects the overall Mexican economy - maybe good for exports?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for exports, bad for public debt denominated in dollars and for import costs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also get paid in dollars, so for now it�s good for me too. But, eventually prices will start to rise to catch up, so it will equal out in the long run, I suspect.
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like prices have already caught up. Prices have gone up so much this year, I'm really feeling it and January and my cost of living increase can't get here fast enough.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
I feel like prices have already caught up. Prices have gone up so much this year, I'm really feeling it and January and my cost of living increase can't get here fast enough.

I wonder how much that varies depending on whether you live in a big city or in a small town? I don�t feel like food prices have gone up in years - they fluculate by season - but today tomatoes were 3 pesos a kilo, just like they were three years ago. Eggs have gone between 10 and 15 pesos for years, as well as rice, beans, and pretty much everything I use to cook. Of course, I always use what is in season, so that helps a lot. But I was surprised that most of the basics cost more in the small town in Zacatecas where we have a house, I guess I assumed most produce would be local, so cheaper, but it isn�t, nor are most of the other basics. What kinds of things have you seen going up in price?
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last few months, I have seen the cost of bread at the Superama bakery go up quite a lot. For example, my favorite breakfast chapata has gone from 7 to 9 pesos a piece! On the other hand, the cost of milk has stayed pretty constant, along with things like yogurt and butter.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course the price of gas, which is on a schedule to remove the subsidy has gone up quite significantly.
I've also really noticed the price of beans--I only buy locally grown beans from small producers and I also didn't have to buy beans for about a year a year ago because we had a really good harvest on the in laws land, but then we didn't plant a year and this year's harvest in not in yet. So about three years ago it was 12 pesos a kilo. But now it's 25 pesos a kilo! Twice what I used to pay. Also the local cheese has gone up, I never buy the national brands. Oh and I make bread, a kilo of flour was around 5 pesos for the longest time, then 8 last year and now it's 12.
Produce has remained much the same, with the usualy seasonal fluctiations and last years freeze around here sent prices up for a short time in Jan and Feb, and flooding in Tabasco is always noticable in the local banana prices.
My non-produce supermarket bill at the ISSTE store is now about 500 a week and it used to be around 300 a week. I even noticed that packets of jello, which used to be 4 pesos a piece now cost 7.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I leave Mexico for a while I am always shocked by the price increases when I return.
jaimem-g

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice between my last two times. I'll take more note this next time.

It's slipped more, now down to .070
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My non-produce supermarket bill at the ISSTE store is now about 500 a week and it used to be around 300 a week.

Wow, we are pushing $1000 per week, just for two people here in D.F. - and that doesn't count incidentals bought during the week!

I remember it was around $300 p.w. when I started back in 2001.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
Quote:
My non-produce supermarket bill at the ISSTE store is now about 500 a week and it used to be around 300 a week.

Wow, we are pushing $1000 per week, just for two people here in D.F. - and that doesn't count incidentals bought during the week!

I remember it was around $300 p.w. when I started back in 2001.

You must have expensive tastes as we are a family of 5---But remember that's non-produce, just what we would call "dry goods" as the ISSTE store here does not parishable items, so no fruits, veggies, meat (we don't buy that anyway), or dairy in that total. And we clean the house with pure white vinegar, a bargin at 10 pesos a gallon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: