Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Canada possible for me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eihpos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Is Canada possible for me? Reply with quote

Hi,

I would love to work in Canada but from what I've read (about jobs, competition, low pay high start-up costs) I suspect it might be a completely unrealistic idea. To make matters worse I'm Irish.

The only option I can find is to apply for the working
holiday visa. Do employers tend to look down on holiday visa holders?
I have about 5 years teaching experience abroad, but is this considered any good or do they require experience in Canada?, Finally, I know Canada is HUGE but would anyone be able to give a brief idea of the best cities to look for ESL work?

Thanks!,

Dawn
timothypfox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in Montreal about 10 years ago. There is work to be found at conversation schools, but it takes time and persistance. Fax a resume and a cover letter, and then drop by the school in person to drop off another one.. etc. Back then it took about 3 months to get work!

Toronto might be a better bet, and I've heard Vancouver is also good for ESL. There are more places I'm sure, and my information is 10 years old, so I can't say for sure...

If you get a valid work visa, you can always work at something (not necessarily ESL) and do coffee shop teaching on the side. (I actually started this way in Montreal, and later again New York City).
posh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is Canada possible for me? Reply with quote

eihpos wrote:
To make matters worse I'm Irish.

Laughing
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of work in Vancouver but the pay is peanuts, especially compared to the cost of living. Some government organizations pay well (ie. $25+/hour) but the competition is very stiff. The work is often temporary so I'm not convinced that you holiday visa status is a problem.

You could try Vancouver - but you probably won't make enough money to live and will need to supplement with another job (ie. bartending). If that doesn't bother you then you should do fine.
shenyanggerry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try. Generally the privates pay very low salaries. The universities pay well but expect at least a Master's in ESL or Applied Linguistics. Also, usually they want an accent similar to the area you're teaching in. Good luck!

As a native English speaker you could probably find other better paying employment easier than teaching ESL. Just stay away from the areas usually requireing English and French language skills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: