Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 questions about KFUPM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Globehopper

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: 5 questions about KFUPM Reply with quote

Husband had a succesful interview, but I need to know more about the contract/living conditions to make a decision to go. For starters, do any of you know the following:

1. Is the basic salary divided into 10 months and the two months of vacation pay an extra two months of the monthly salary? We have four kids and the university will pay yearly tickets for only four family members. So, we would have to pay for the extra tickets.

2. Does anyone know (from people who have hired help) about the registration fees and salaries paid to live-in housekeepers ?

3.What should one expect to pay for a new or slightly used mini-van? And what make is best to withstand desert conditions?

4. Does the accompanying spouse also need to undergo the medical tests and criminal record checks?

5. I have seen the map of the campus on their website, but I cannot remember seeing a legend. Are the university buildings that close to the housing quarters that one can actually walk to work?

Appreciate all responses to the above.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 5 questions about KFUPM Reply with quote

Never been to KFUPM, but I'll put in my two cents anyway. Smile

Globehopper wrote:

3.What should one expect to pay for a new or slightly used mini-van? And what make is best to withstand desert conditions?

Don't know. The good news is that most of the cars sold new in the ME have better cooling systems than cars that are destined for more temperate climates. The bad news is that most Arabs don't maintain their cars conscientiously, so if you can't buy one from a mechanically-minded expat, don't buy one used at all.

Globehopper wrote:
5. I have seen the map of the campus on their website, but I cannot remember seeing a legend. Are the university buildings that close to the housing quarters that one can actually walk to work?

I use the stadium as a rough scale. Figure that the field itself is 50 meters x 100 meters, so the inside of the stadium is probably around 75 x 130. Looks to me like the distance to the ELC from Ferdaws is walkable if you don't mind sweating a little.

Ain't Bindair or Dundat
Mark100

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q1 no, there are twelve seperate salaries

Q2. 1000 riyals a month should be suffice

Q3. Too general a question to answer but cars are cheap.

Q4. Not sure don't think so

Q5. You can walk but it does get very hot at times , many use bikes
cody jarrett

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: question 4 Reply with quote

Everbody, including kids, has to do the medical.
At least that's the case if you are coming from Malaysia or Thailand.
Cody
Globehopper

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of your responses.

We may take up this offer if nothing better comes through for September.

Globehopper
joshx

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Children's tuition at KFUPM Reply with quote

You said that you have 4 children. Are you aware that if you enroll them in the international school, that KFUPM only pays 25,000 riyals in total? You will be expected to pay the rest out of your own pocket. The tuition is usually betwen 25,000 and 30,000 riyals per child per year. That is, for example, 2,500 riyals per month times 3 children equals 7,500 riyals a month you must pay. I know as I had children enrolled in an international school in KSA. Just something to think about.
Globehopper

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi joshx:

Yes, I am aware of the educational amount; however, only one of my children would be going to school. The other three are preschool-aged and they will be home-schooled. I am a certified teacher in Canada and halfway through my master's in curriculum/TESL.

My husband is negotiating for more salary and and two extra plane tickets; we are prepared to find work in another institution if they (KFUPM) do not meet us halfway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: