Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile phone service

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlescastle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Mobile phone service Reply with quote

I have an iphone 4S running on Sprint here in the US. Can I use this phone in Taiwan....I know it will work running on Sprint in Taiwan (1.99 a minute, yikes) but can I buy service through one of the local providers and use my iphone 4s instead of the phones they offer? I would really hate to have to use another phone.
steve_c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mobile phone service Reply with quote

charlescastle wrote:
I have an iphone 4S running on Sprint here in the US. Can I use this phone in Taiwan....I know it will work running on Sprint in Taiwan (1.99 a minute, yikes) but can I buy service through one of the local providers and use my iphone 4s instead of the phones they offer? I would really hate to have to use another phone.

My experience is that, in order to get local monthly service, you will need a Taiwanese to co-sign the contract, or you will need to make a hefty deposit.

You can get pre-paid cards at 7-11 or just about anywhere.

I'm in Taoyuan; perhaps in Taipei it's easier to get service? If someone knows of a monthly service that doesn't require the guarantor/huge deposit, I'd really like to know, too.
charlescastle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...how do these prepaid cards work? Is it a number you call to get access? I think any call I make on my iphone overseas will incur the 1.99 a minute "roaming" fee. Plus, I would really like to utilize the data/text services that a cell phone plan will allow.

How large is the deposit? At this point, to keep my iphone, I would be willing to render a deposit of up to 500 USD??? Would it be more than this?

Thanks,

Charlie
Nuolan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your iPhone 4s has a sim card slot and is unlocked, youre in business. Otherwise, no.
charlescastle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: I think i have the answer Reply with quote

Ok...so after some checking....all iphones have a sim card slot...even though the service you use might not use it...like mine (Sprint). I have been able to find out that Sprint will, at their discretion, unlock your sim slot, but if they are not cooperative, you can unlock it using an online service or pay someone to do it for you fairly cheaply...

Then, you can pop in a SIM card from a local service....this seems like the best deal for me because data/text/voice service is expensive going through my current Sprint service...only bad thing is that I will still have Sprint service even though I am not using it...but im dropping down to the cheapest plan.

Thanks for the advice, I guess I will be able to use my 4s while in Taiwan, it will just cost me a bit....Anyone have a good, cheap local phone company they use that provides data/text/voice?
steve_c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a current, overall breakdown of cell phone costs in Taiwan:

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=104655&p=1364859&hilit=cell+phone+service#p1364859
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: